Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Holy Cow you huckleberry

Yankee nation mourns for the Scooter today. My recollections of Phil Rizzuto are solely as a broadcaster. From the age of 5 the summers of my youth were spent watching Mattingly and Winfield and listening to White and Rizzuto. I still believe that part of my love of baseball can be traced back to those days and is built upon the purity and honesty brought to the game by the Scooter every day. One of my earliest baseball memories is Phil Rizzuto day in 1985. He was our Harry Caray, he was the guy in the Money Store commercials. My lasting memory is of his Hall of Fame speech. I'm sure you can find it online, take the time to watch it, it is worth it. If we can all lead lives as fulfilling as the Scooter and still be gracious to the end we would all be better off.

May he rest in peace

No comments: