Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Remembrances in memoriam

I was in Vivian Stringer's office when the towers came down, she was not there, she was on a plane. I was huddled with a group of 4-5 people transfixed to the television watching the world as we knew it change forever. Ill be the first to admit I hate hyperbole but to deny that 9/11 changed the world as we knew it is simply foolish.

I remember being angry, I remember being scared and most of all I remember feeling a real sense of brotherhood.

I remember being glued to the television, watching any bit of news I could find.

I remember heading to the RAC to volunteer since it was designated a triage site and waiting and waiting but no victims appeared.

I remember seeing the Pentagon on fire, then the immediate reports of car bombs throughout Washington and the total feeling of helplessness.

I remember going to the hospital to donate blood and having to wait hours in a cramped waiting room and the nods of acknowledgement shared by all and not one person complaining.

I remember going to school and packing supplies for the firefighters at ground zero and cheering for passing fire trucks.

I remember seeing a smoldering grey cloud of hovering smoke serving as a shroud over NYC.

I remember feeling guilty that I wasn’t doing more to help.

I remember the power of my first trip to Ground Zero. You couldn’t get a cab down there so we walked close to 30 blocks. I was astonished by both the sheer magnitude of the “pile” and the layers of paper, photos and signs affixed to anything that would hold.

I remember the giant American flag unfurled in centerfield at the first Yankee game after the attack, I have no idea who won the game.

I remember heading to Rutgers Stadium for the first football game not because it was an important game but because I needed to be around people. I remember trying to choke back tears listening to a lone trumpet emerging seemingly out of nowhere from the open end of the stadium to play taps.

I remember the Concert for New York and the Telethon. True celebrations of the power of music to foster healing.

I remember candlelight vigils in our neighborhood, people actually standing on their street corners with candles.

I remember calling Kris and one of us saying that for the first time in our life I understand what Pearl Harbor felt like and I would be willing to fight.

I remember being in a dollar store and hearing we had launched bombing strikes in Afghanistan.
I remember finding out that a good friend was supposed to be there.

I remember going to the World Series and while I don’t remember the security measures I do remember the flyover, the eagle Challenger and the red white and blue all over the place and the god bless America at the 7th inning stretch and most of all the Tino Martinez Home Run in the 9th and the Jeter walk-off that seemed to carry the spirit of the city.

I remember seeing my first M-16 rifle, it was strapped to a soldier standing guard in Penn Station.

I remember being scared when I heard the sounds of a plane flying a little too low.

I remember the blue light towers that shined in remembrance of what was once the symbol of lower Manhattan.

I remember the military patrol fly-overs.

I remember the skyline looking very strange and empty.

If you weren’t in New York or DC I don’t know if you truly felt the impact. I am fortunate to not have lost any close friends.

The area was gripped with fear. One of my friends said he expected the tv screen to fade to black and bin Laden’s face to come on and announce a take over.

It’s amazing how different a world we live in today simply from a security standpoint. 9/11 changed that, it changed the way we travel by air, it changed the way we attend big sporting events, it changed the way every explosion is reported.

It was a time when the country truly united. You saw celebrities giving of their time and resources and not for selfish reasons. They were not trying to push albums or upcoming movies. 9/11 was eventually politicized, but at first it was a positive polarization of the country. It engendered a sense of unity which I had not previously seen nor have seen since.

That unity was bolstered by sports, it is unquestioned that New York rallied behind its teams and most of the country threw its support behind New York. The Yankees, Rutgers and the Giants all provided avenues for me to escape the blanket of fear that covered us and for that I am grateful.

Our country never realized the potential of post 9/11 America, the opportunities were boundless to make the kind of change Martin argues for in the post below, but those opportunities were neglected.

I wish nothing but peace and prosperity to those personally affected six years ago and to the far too often forgotten rescue workers who continue to develop debilitating respiratory illnesses with far too little support from our government.

In the end, I don’t think anyone has captured the feelings of New York better than Bruce Springsteen did on the Rising album. I just want to share a few verses:

EMPTY SKY
I woke up this morning
I could barely breathe
Just an empty impression
In the bed where you used to be
I want a kiss from your lips
I want an eye for an eye
I woke up this morning to the empty sky

INTO THE FIRE
The sky was falling and streaked with blood
I heard you calling me then you disappeared into the dust
Up the stairs, into the fire
Up the stairs, into the fire
I need your kiss, but love and duty called you someplace higher
Somewhere up the stairs into the fire

THE RISING
Can't see nothin' in front of me
Can't see nothin' coming up behind
I make my way through this darkness
I can't feel nothing but this chain that binds me
Lost track of how far I've gone
How far I've gone, how high I've climbed
On my back's a sixty pound stone
On my shoulder a half mile line

Left the house this morning
Bells ringing filled the air
Wearin' the cross of my calling
On wheels of fire I come rollin' down here

YOU’RE MISSING
Shirts in the closet, shoes in the hall
Mama's in the kitchen, baby and all
Everything is everything
Everything is everything
But you're missing

Coffee cups on the counter, jackets on the chair
Papers on the doorstep, you're not there
Everything is everythingEverything is everything
But you're missing
Pictures on the nightstand, TV's on in the den
Your house is waiting, your house is waiting
For you to walk in, for you to walk in
But you're missing, you're missing
You're missing when I shut out the lights
You're missing when I close my eyes
You're missing when I see the sun rise
You're missing
Children are asking if it's alright
Will you be in our arms tonight?
Morning is morning, the evening falls I have
Too much room in my bed, too many phone calls
How's everything, everything?
Everything, everything
You're missing, you're missing
God's drifting in heaven, devil's in the mailboxI
got dust on my shoes, nothing but teardrops

No comments: