Monday, January 14, 2008

What Now?

I mean seriously people, you knew the Eli column was inevitable win or loss yesterday, and a win only adds fuel to the fire. But the Eli haters always win the argument because they can always find a way to bring it back on the young man. Last week when defending my position, as if I was defending the Nazi’s at Nuremberg, I would point to a fact like his receivers lead the league in drops. Eli hater response, he doesn’t throw a catchable ball and that stat doesn’t really mean that much. Oh okay, you win. Or point out the fact that of any starting QB in the league Eli was sacked the 5ht most times this year. Eli hater response, well he holds the ball too long. Oh okay, you win, again.

I point this out again because the Eli hater with his excuses will rear his ugly head again today. Eli’s first touchdown was a 10 yard throw and Toomer took it to the house. Well every other QB gets credit for a TD pass except Eli. Then Eli’s second TD drive was only possible because the Cowboys committed a stupid penalty, had nothing to do with Eli’s poise and precision passing (on a side note, one of the big Eli haters text me as he is leading this drive downfield to tie the game with only 50 seconds left and says Eli still looks uncomfortable, thank god for that precision analysis). And of course on the game winning drive they went to Brandon Jacobs to score the touchdown, of course not trusting in Eli. Nothing to be said of on 3rd and 6 to open the 4th quarter Eli finds Steve Smith for what would be a crucial first down, maybe the most crucial of his career so far. Again just like last week after making a crucial third down throw against Tampa in the 4th Eli would not be required to throw another pass because he had put his team in position to win the game by that point. I could also point to Eli’s 121.0 QB rating but the Eli hater will tell me he doesn’t know what QB rating means so he automatically dismisses it as unimportant, only when it comes to Eli though.

Again all I am saying is even the ardent Eli hater has to begin to admit that the guy is good. Like I said last week ultimately QB’s are judged on wins and losses (fair or unfair). They guy has won games as the starting QB for the New York Giants. And also as a number 1 overall pick there is pressure on him, he has handled that and developed at a rate faster or better then most top overall QB’s, he has reached the same level as Terry Bradshaw, Bledsoe and Elway went to the Super Bowl and lost and Aikman went to the Super Bowl and won. So again, what’s the problem? I have layed all the facts out, truly I am not defending him, his play and his record do that for him I am just highlighting for the world to see. By the way he has now won 2 road playoff games (one against the best team in the conference, so Dan can’t give me the excuse about Tampa’s weak offense anymore) and is 9-1 overall on the road this year and for his career 18-10. You don’t like the guy, you think he is a putz, you think he is a dumb southerner, you think he shrugs his shoulders too much, you think he looks like he is retarded that’s all well and good but pleas stop saying he is no good and robbing him of all credit at all times.

9 comments:

zman said...

Eli played really well yesterday. It looks like he is a legit QB. I was wrong to say that he sucks.

For the record, I never hated Eli, I just thought he was overrated out of college. I do, however, hate Peyton.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I think you are getting a bit over dramatic about the Eli hater shit. There is not a person in the world who roots harder for this kid than me. My whole weekend depends on whether this kid can come out and be consistent week in and week out (when he is not I throw shit around my place and kick defenseless puppies throughout the neighborhood). I think everyone who watches the Giants realizes that we need more consistence from him. We now have it for three weeks. To use one of your own stats, it is the first time in his career that he has strung together 3 100+ quarterbacking rating games in a row. This is what you have to do to get people off of your back in NYC. He only threw the ball 16 times, which is fine for me, more importantly he completed 12 and had no picks or fumbles, and we one the game. I am always happy when we win a game, but when we win despite his turnovers, like we have in the past, I am looking for him to correct that. Finally that is what I am seeing, so far in the playoffs this year he has 4 TD's and ) INT's and thats what helps to win games.

The Regulator

Dan Filowitz said...

I don't hate Eli. I just thought that his tendency to play awful would lose them a playoff game. He didn't play awful, so I was wrong there. But I wasn't wrong to think that he had the capacity to play awful - because I've seen it with my own eyes too many times this year, as have all of you Giants fans.

Eli is now playing at about the level of Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer in their Super Bowl years.

Nothing wrong with that, as I have pointed out repeatedly. You can win like that, especially if you have a good running game, an offensive line playing well, and a talented defense.

If I were a Giants fan, though, I'd still be nervous about him going into Green Bay next week. How could I not be? How could I expect this mistake-free play to last, given his history?

THE INNOVATOR said...

Because it takes 3 or 4 years for any QB, as I have pointed out, to begin to understand how to play that mistake free football, and that seems like it is happening with Eli. Listen if he makes mistakes and the Giants lose next week I am not going to hop off the band wagon but my point is many Giants fans will, they will forget the good and the progress that he has made and automatically dump on him (I am not refering to anyone specifically here, but there are plenty of other Gaints fan Eli haters across the world).

My overall point is there is no other team who has a successful QB that's fan base despises him more than Eli, except for the Eagles and they are retarded. And again statistics aside QB's are judged on wins and losses not stats, otherwise a guy like Elway would not be the hero he is, 9 times he completed 55% or fewer passing attempts and 5 time threw more INT's than TD's. But at the end of the day Elway won games, sometimes in spite of his own shortcomings, Eli is finding ways to win games and has been most of his career, as I said the record speaks for itself.

THE INNOVATOR said...

"To use one of your own stats, it is the first time in his career that he has strung together 3 100+ quarterbacking rating games in a row"

Interesting, I love when you come back at me with pertinent information. Three straight games of 100 plus rating, something it took Peyton 7 years to do. Peyton has done it 4 times in his 11years, Brady only 3 times in 7 full seasons. So again Eli's progression and growth rate seems to be right there along with some other great QB's. It takes time to develop that consistancy in this league, it seems like Giants fans wanted it overnight.

Two other no Eli related topics(well sort of). Did you know Terrell Owens is 1-5 over the last eight seasons in the playoffs, that will give you something to cry about, those are Wade Phillips like numbers, not counting the wins. And later in the week I will break down the emotional day that I will have on Sunday when the Packers and Giants square off.

zman said...

I forgot about your split football loyalties. Will you wear a Lynne Dickie jersey and Giants Zubaz pants while eating cheddar cheese on your pasta?

Dan Filowitz said...

"Because it takes 3 or 4 years for any QB, as I have pointed out, to begin to understand how to play that mistake free football, and that seems like it is happening with Eli."

Kris, Eli was playing mistake-filled football only four weeks ago (the Buffalo game.)

Do you really believe that he is a completely different QB than he was six weeks ago? That sometime over Christmas he finally "got it"? It's another Festivus miracle!


Oh, can we all go back to calling Peyton Manning a choker in big games? I liked the world better when you could do that.

THE INNOVATOR said...

Yes I believed he has come a long way in the past six weeks. does that mean he will never make mistakes again, no, but does it mean that his maturity is beginning to show, absolutely. It is developing before our eyes and it is a pleasure to see. Again as I have pointed out it is on par or ahead of most QB's that have played this game and as a Giants fan I am happy and excited

Anonymous said...

Kris,
You are absolutly correct. No matter what Eli does most Giants fans will hate him. I can't imagine that he will be allowed back into New York Sunday night after KGB and Kampman make him their punk bitch. As for the stat of dropped passes, it only counts as a drop if the receiver has it in his hands, a tipped over throw isn't counted as a drop, therefore dropped passes can never be blamed on a QB.