Saturday, March 22, 2008

Day 2 Review and Day 3 Picks

Player of the Day- Stephen Curry, Davidson. Well as I am writing this there are still eight games left to be played, but I don’t give a shit. Stephen Curry put on a show for the ages today in Raleigh NC. He poured in 40 points, 30 of which came in the decisive second half in an upset win over former mid major darling Gonzaga. He opened the game with a jumper and went into half with a pedestrian 10 points, his team trailing by five. Whatever he drank at halftime, I want some. He opened the 2nd half with back to back three’s, but at the 16:15 mark his team trailed by nine, 42-51. Well he should have sold tickets at that dead ball, because over the next 6 ½ minutes he put on a clinic. He scored 15 of Davidson next 20 points including three from downtown, the last of which knotted the score at 62, the first time it had been tied since it was 15-15. He wasn’t done there either, with a little over a minute remaining and the scored tied he stepped up and drilled his eight and final (8-10 3pt) three of the game, giving the Wildcats a 77-74 lead for good. When it was all said and done with he had torches the Zags for 30 second half points (Gonzaga had 35 as a team) and memories that will live in tournament lore forever.


Coach of the Day- Fran McCaffery, Siena. His team has one of the toughest first round assignments in Vanderbilt. The reason I say that is because no team in the country executes on offense with any more precision than the Commodores. Couple that execution with the SEC player of the year, Shan Foster and you have one tough match-up. Well McCaffery’s team was ready for the challenge. The first thing they did was attacked Vandy with their offense and getting out to a lead. By doing so the forced Vandy into some tough three point shots thus lowering their percentage. Vandy wants to beat you from three, but on their terms, when they are comfortable and coming off of their set plays. Siena was able to hold foster to 13 points on 14 shots and 1-5 from downtown. Overall Vandy’s shot 47% from the field and 40% from 3-pt range on the season and Siena held them 41% and 20% respectively.



Most Impressive Team- Butler Bulldogs. Usually the 7/10 game gives us something to watch, well Butler had other ideas in its game with South Alabama. The Bulldogs shot the ball from everywhere on the court with precision, 50% FG, 53% 3-Pt., 92% FT. They also dished out 18 assists on 27 FG’s and only had 10 turnovers. Butler showed their depth and their skill in this route of South Alabama and gave a warning shot across Tennessee’s bow. The Vol’s better be ready tomorrow fo this Bulldog squad, because they are playing really good basketball



Day 3 Picks

No. 7 West Virginia at No. 2 Duke- I have the upset here. I think it will be close but I will take Joe Alexander and West Virginia.

No. 11 Kansas State at No. 3 Wisconsin- This has the making of being oine heck of a ball game. Watching the Badger defense trying to contain Beasley and Walker will be fun. I think if the Badger big men can get off they will win this game, I will take Wisconsin in a close one.

No. 6 Purdue at No. 3 Xavier- Well again I have Xavier in the Final Four so I have to take them in this game. I liked the moxey they showed in coming back against Georgia.

No. 5 Notre Dame at No. 4 Washington State- Lots of white guys in this game, if you don’t like white guys then don’t watch this one. I think it will be a knock em down drag em basketball game, but I like Wazzou here because of their experience.

No. 6 Marquette at No. 3 Stanford- Well screw my bracket, I had Cornell and Kentucky here. I liked what Stanford showed in the first game so I can see them moving on.

No. 8 UNLV at No. 1 Kansas- Again I have Kansas winning it all, so I will have to take them here, but never sleep on Lon Kruger I think his team will play well but they don’t have the talent to stay with the Jayhawks

No. 5 Michigan State at No. 4 Pittsburgh- Much like the ND/Wazzou game this one has the chance to be a classic. Both teams play in your face hardcore defense and play hard on every possession. I like Pittsburgh because

No. 9 Texas A&M at No. 1 UCLA- I think Texas A&M is very mediocre, and UCLA feasts on teams like that. UCLA in a blowout.

No comments: