Sunday, March 23, 2008

Eat it Martin

I was going to do a full recap of the weekend, but as of right now this tournament has only one story, and that story is Stephen Curry. I already explained last week that I had a huge man crush on Curry, but now it is a full blown obsession. I may drive up to Davidson and propose, soon.

After his spectacular performance in his First round game against Gonzaga I warned Martin to beware. Unfortunately for Martin the one thing he is blinded by is Hoya Paranoia. Martin will admit that the Giants are fallible and even the Mets at time have faults, but when the Hoyas are going well he literally thinks they are indestructible. I warned him on this website and I also sent him a text message asking him if they were ready for the Curry show?

His response was something along these lines; “whatever, if you want to bet against Town than good luck with all that.” Well thanks for the luck Martin, it worked.

Now to say I was supremely confident throughout the game would be a total lie. The Hoyas played a great first half and really made Curry work for everything he got. However, credit has to go to Coach Bob McKillop who never wavered and kept going to Curry in the second half.

Again with his team down and facing elimination he stared the pressure directly in the face and overcame it with his shot making ability. As the clocked ticked under ten minutes to go in the game and his team trailing 43-50 Curry drained a three to bring them within four. Over the next 9 ½ minutes Curry himself would outscore the Hoyas 21-20 and lead them to victory.

At the 4:52 mark Georgetown’s Chris Wright made a free throw to put Georgetown ahead by 1, it would be their last lead of the season. On the ensuing Davidson possession Curry made a backdoor cut to the basket and laid the ball in, drew a foul, and completed the three point play. The next tome down court Curry head faked and drove Jeremiah Rivers and DaJuan Summers this time making a circus layup. And then just in case you forgot he pulled up behind a ball screen at the top of the key draining a three pointer capping a Stephen Curry 8-2 run. Davidson lead 65-60, Georgetown called a timeout and game was basically over at 2:41 on the clock. Curry would go on to make 5 of 6 free throws sealing the game in the last thirty seconds.

By the numbers, in the second half where Curry shines, he was 6-13 from the field including making 4 of 10 threes and nailing 9 of 10 free throws for 25 second half points. He also added two defensive rebounds and 2 assists and played 36 minutes without turning the ball over



Also I don’t mean to toot my own horn, but here goes. I have successfully picked 12 of the sweet 16 teams in my bracket. Also I gave you 5 teams that would pull off at least one upset and had a chance to make the sweet 16, those teams where; Butler, Kansas State, Kentucky, Western Kentucky and Davidson. I also gave you 5 teams that I wouldn’t pick to do anything in this tournament, and those were: Pittsburgh, Notre Dame, Duke, Connecticut and Southern Cal. Not bad huh? Sometimes I do know what I am talking about, right Martin?

5 comments:

Twinkie said...

Sometimes you do, but you also sung the praises of Clemson. How's that working out for you?

Yes, I am blinded by the Hoyas and there are viable excuses like I can't wait for Roy to go to the NBA so teams will use guys of similar size against him.

When he didn't score in the Big East tourney and against Davidson, I watched the refs call too many fouls with Roy pushing around someone 5 inches smaller just because he's 5 inches smaller, but that's besides the point.

He had to stay in the game and allow Town to slow it down when they wanted to in the 2nd half and get a good shot WHEN THEY WERE UP 17!!!!

What the fuck was that about? And yes Kris, I'm not going to believe that one guy can beat an entire team, especially when that team led the nation in field goal percentage defense.

But the Hoyas' loss allows me to view the rest of the tourney with unbiased eyes and concentrate my focus on baseball and next year, when I'm likely to be in a similar position since we'll be better on offense without Roy in the middle...

THE INNOVATOR said...

Sungs the praises of Clemson, I said they would beat Villnova, thats all. I never "sung their praises."

Well you can not believe that one guy can beat a team that lead the nation in field goal percentage, but me and the rest of the country watched one guy do it, didn't we?

True, next year will be a good year with the #1 recruit in the country coming in, Greg Monroe. By the way speaking of baseball when do we put Mets fans on suicide watch, when they are up 11 games with 15 to play or something like that?

Dan Filowitz said...

Perhaps Georgetown was distracted by the hotness of Stephen Curry's mom.

I was.

THE INNOVATOR said...

Dell Curry would whoop your ass Dan, but I would pay to watch you play him in 1 on 1, much like the fame Filowitz/Hali game of 1995!!!

Dan Filowitz said...

Is it Dell Curry today vs. me today?

Because Dell Curry is almost exactly thirteen years older than me, which would make him about to turn 44.

He still has about 6 inches on me, and, you know, averaged 16 pts a game in his prime in the NBA, whereas my scoring average in the NBA was decidedly lower.

http://tinyurl.com/3adddr