Friday, March 7, 2008

Filowitz's Friday Five

The "so late it might as well be Saturday" edition!

1) I don’t wish to alarm you, but the Houston Rockets have won 17 games in a row. Five in a row since Yao Ming was injured. Everyone who wrote the obituary for the Rockets after Yao was hurt seemed to have done so prematurely. That said, it is also true that they haven’t beat the toughest competition (last night was the Mavs without Dirk, who was suspended) and that this isn’t the playoffs. What it shows, if nothing else, is that making sweeping proclamations in immediate reaction to a news item is always a bad idea.

2) I don’t wish to alarm you, but the San Antonio Spurs have won 11 games in a row. And have the best record in the West. And once again have to be considered the favorite to win the whole thing. The question you have to ask as we near the playoffs is this: who will guard Tim Duncan? On Phoenix – Shaq and Amare can’t guard Duncan. On Utah – Carlos Boozer and Memo Okur can’t guard Tim Duncan. On the Lakers – who guards Tim Duncan? Pau Gasol? Ronny Turiaf? DJ Mbenga? That won’t be good for LA. And I’m going on record here (and on the Disciples of Clyde NBA Podcast this week) saying that Andrew Bynum won’t play again this season. Dude dislocated his knee cap. That’s going to take some time to heal up to running-and-jumping-all-the-time shape. Without him, they have no one to guard Tim Duncan.

3) I don’t wish to alarm you, but we change the clocks for Daylight Saving this weekend. I keep forgetting that Congress changed the law to make this happen earlier than usual. It used to be that the changing of the clocks was the prelude to the coming of spring. It’s still not supposed to be above 40 in Chicago for a while, so there is no hope of spring any time soon. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to go drown myself in a deep dish pizza.

4) I don’t wish to alarm you, but the NCAA Tournament fast approaches. That means people like me will start actually paying attention to college basketball for the first time all year. Then I can pretend to sound knowledgeable about second-rate teams from the SEC while I hand in a bracket for a pool at work. “Oh, yeah, I think Vanderbilt can definitely make a run to the Sweet Sixteen. That Shan Foster is a beast!” (Note: I just went to Yahoo! Sports and looked up Vanderbilt’s top scorer. I wouldn’t know Shan Foster if he came to my house and wrote “Commodores” in permanent marker on my forehead after I’d passed out on my couch drunk again.)

5) I don’t wish to alarm you, but Kobe is not better than LeBron, and LeBron is not better than Kobe. After doing exhaustive and rigorous statistical analysis and going to the local university library stacks for some all night reading on modern psychology and comparative literature, I have come to the comprehensive conclusion that they are exactly and demonstrably equal in every way imaginable. So there.

1 comment:

THE INNOVATOR said...

Dan,

Good call on Vandy and Shan Foster, he is a motherfucker. He just became Vandy's all time leading scorer. Most people have heard of Chris Lofton from Tennessee, believe it or not Foster is better. He is about 6 inches taller than Lofton has a purer stroke and almost the same range, plus he has a solid post up game when smaller defenders are on him, and like Lofton can get his 3 point shot off at anytime. It is a shame more of the country doesnt know about him because he is a great college basketball player