Tuesday, March 18, 2008

NCAA Preview: The Teams

First I will discuss teams I like to pull off an upset here or there and maybe even sneak into the Sweet 16.

Butler- Yes they are a 7 seed and people know who they are, but they have a good draw getting Tennessee in Round 2. Tennessee isn’t playing that well and Butler beat them last season. Now you say what does that have to do with anything, well you can’t appreciate Tennessee’s speed, press, shooting range and myriad of set plays unless you play them. Butler has the experience, albeit last season and their guards are experienced which is what you need to beat the Vols.

Kansas State- They have a first time head coach and don’t really have experience, but to me that’s what makes them dangerous. The match-up with Southern Cal in Round 1 is perhaps the most intriguing game of the entire tournament. I like Kansas State because they are battled tested and at the end of the day they have two lottery picks on their team in Michael Beasley and Bill Walker.

Kentucky- I guess it would be hard to call them a sleeper, but the fact remains they only won 18 games total this season and they are an 11 seed. They have what all teams need in tournament play, great guards in Ramel Bradley and Joe Crawford. They have a bunch of role players filling out their roster but Billy Clyde has shown an ability to get the maximum from guys like Ramon Harris and Perry Stevenson. When the game is on the line there isn’t a bigger clutch shooter in the country than Bradley and Crawford can explode for 20-25 points in a single half with his versatility on offense.

Western Kentucky- First off they have a great draw getting a Drake team which has maybe less big game experience than they do. Darrin Horn is one of the rising stars in coaching and has lead the Hilltoppers to four straight 20 win seasons. They also have a star in Guard Courtney Lee who for his 4 year career is averaging over 17 points a game and shooting 40% from behind the arc. Lee has the ability to carry his team to a few victories.

Davidson- They play the team that used to be everyone’s darling, Gonzaga, but now the Zags are treated like every other power team, as an opportunity to take down Goliath. Davidson is for real, Bob McKillop has spent 17 years building one of the most solid programs in the country. They have played one of the best schedules in the land with opponents like; Duke, North Carolina, NC State, UCLA and UNC-Charlotte and over the last two season this incarnation of the team has gone 37-1 in conference. Stephen Curry (son of NBAer Del Curry) is the heart and soul (and sharpshooter averaging 25 ppg) of this team, and he is only a Sophomore. Jason Richards has been among the nations leader in assists the last two seasons and they have 7 more players who average double figure minutes. Even if they don’t get by Gonzaga, do yourself a favor and tune their game it, it will be a joy to watch (Martin, don’t sleep on their ability to beat the Hoyas either).

Now for some higher seeded teams I don’t like.

Pittsburgh- Realistically I have no reason to be down on them, they have all the tools to be successful, but in the past they have screwed me in my bracket so fuck them.

Duke- Coach K is great and he is getting some talent back on this team but he still doesn’t have that killer like he has had in the past. The rely way too heavily on the three ball and they have no go to guy, because believe me it isn’t Jon Scheyer. Give me another year and I think I may be in love with Kyle Singler, but just not yet.

Notre Dame- Maybe it is because I just despise the school, but for all my Teaneck brethren out there don’t Kyle McElharny and Luke Harongody seem like two schmucks who went to Don Bosco? And lord knows white lame hoopster from Bosco can’t be picked to do anything.

Southern Cal- With all the talent on this team they should be much better than they are. Seriously, they have 4 legit NBA players on their squad (Mayo, Jefferson, Gibson and Hackett) and they are a fucking 6 seed. To me Floyd seems like a coach who tinkers too much and almost ruins his team’s chances to wins some games

Connecticut- I just think they are a year away, especially if Thabeet & Adrien stay. Nest year they have a chance to be the pre-season #1 team and rip through the Big East but not this year.

4 comments:

Twinkie said...

DBlas, I need your picks. I got to put up $2 for an office pool and don't want to lose my money...

That being said, you're 100 percent right about UConn and the Dosco crack nearly got me in trouble at the office I laughed so loud.

But Davidson? I mean, I know the Hoyas are boring. I know they don't seem to score as much as they should, but how much dirt is everyone going to throw on JT III and the boys? What did you want from Hibbert this year - 22 and 12? There's no way he gets anything more than he got within the offense and that never takes into account the blocks and assists from the post he dishes out.

It's OK thou and tha's what has me worried. As a true fan, I can see their strengths and weakness, but can I really take them to the Elite 8 on my bracket with faith? That's the question I pose to the SABP public?

THE INNOVATOR said...

No

zman said...

I liked the Don Bosco joke as well. Everyone should take Mason in the first round. I don't see ND getting past Washington State, so you might as well roll the dice on the upset. And Mason alumni are really cool.

Dan Filowitz said...

Yes, twas a fine Don Bosco joke.

And, Kris, you're saying that Martin is in fact a homer and loves the Hoyas so much he almost named his daughter "John Thompson"? Got it.