Monday, June 23, 2008

2008 NBA Draft Preview, 1

This year is proving to be very different for me. Normally there are a host of Euro-trash bastards who I cannot stand (save for 2003 when I fell in love with every foreigner including Knicks selection Maciej Lampe) and crappy college players who sucked there and will suck in the pros. However, this year the tide has turned, there aren’t a slew of random foreigners (thanks to guys like Maciej Lampe) and every college player I am absolutely in love with. Well I shouldn’t say everyone. I still think the Lopez twins suck balls, JoeAlexander is vastly overrated (can’t wait for the Bucks to draft him) and Roy Hibbert is going to be a relative stiff in the league (Yes Martin deal with it, just like when I told you he was not one of my pre-season All-Americans and how the Hoyas would succumb to Davidson).

Like I said I am in love with every college player, I think they will all be super-mega stars in the league, though that is unlikely. So here is a list of guys I really, really like, a lot:

Derrick Rose, Memphis- Okay, so I sound stupid saying this, but this guy has greatness written all over him. He is a combination of the street thug game with the intelligence and savvy of guys like Deron Williams and Chris Paul. In a year or two he will be right along side these guys ushering in the PG era of the NBA.

Anthony Randoloph, LSU- I saw this guy up close and personal twice this year, as well as countless times on film, he is a fucking freak. He is every bit of 6’10 and has the skills of most 2 guards. I am now going to make the Vitale-esque outrageous comparison of the draft when I tell you he is in the Chris Bosh/Kevin Garnett mold. I am not just trying to psyche myself up for the fact that the Knicks may pick him, I truly mean everything I said. When the dust has cleard he can possibly be the best player in this draft.

OJ Mayo, Southern Cal- Again this sounds stupid to state an obvious guy like Mayo, but he can flat out score the basketball. He has the total package when it comes to NBA scoring ability. I have no idea if he can lead or how much he will win, but I know this, he is going to get his. I guess he would be George Gervin or Bob McAdoo when it comes to that respect. He can fill it up from NBA 3-pt range, has a tremendous mid range game and can finish at or above the rim.

Brandon Rush, Kansas- I have always thought his game was more suited for the NBA than college. He will be able to play the 2 or the 3 spot in the league and already has an NBA body. He plays the game with a relative ease and smoothness that will suite him well in the league. He can shoot the basketball from deep a lot better than people think. I just have an unhealthy obsession with Rush and his game.

Courtney Lee, Western Kentucky- Alright, so I am toeing the company line here a little bit (Lee’s college coach Darrin Horn is my new boss for those who are unaware). But Lee is an NBA ready 2 guard with smarts, maturity and savvy to join an established team and mesh well into his role. Word his the Spurs fell in love with him at a recent workout, workouts where he has continually outplayed Chris Douglas-Roberts. Also some people have the Celtics taking him with the last pick of Round 1, these scenarios would be perfect for Lee and those teams.

Jamont Gordon, Mississippi State- Why this guy isn’t talked about as a first round pick is completely beyond me. Since he was a senior in high school at Oak Hill he has had an NBA ready body and game. I guess his lack of shooting ability may hurt him in the league, but his ability to use his broad muscular frame both offensively and defensively will be a tremendous asset. He can go by anyone at aytime with his quickness and finish in traffic with his muscle. And lastly don’t underestimate his explosiveness of the floor, this is a guy who average almost 7 rebounds a game for his career as a PG.

No comments: