Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Album review: Skillz - The Million Dollar Backpack

This is a response to an email I received from a friend, informing me about an interview with the aformentioned Skillz.

Skillz first appeared on the scene as Mad Skillz, a new voice from Virginia with an album that dropped 12 years ago. "The Nod Factor" and a couple other tracks like "Extra Abstract Skillz" which featured Q-Tip. It's easily one of the best albums during a golden era in hip hop, what with "Reasonable Doubt" out around the same time.

Nevertheless, losers like me kept an ear out for Skillz and I can remember being on a bus in Cancun with some overgrown athletic women (Kris, you were there in spirit), listening to The Best of the Superfriends mixtape.

Long story short, here's a quick review. I've got a couple more in the vault on the way with my thoughts on Nas's Untitled album next.




I've heard the album and while it's got a couple of quality tracks, overall it almost seems like a personal album, showcasing Skillz ability to use a variety of styles. I don't know what kind of album I would have wanted or expected from him, but I just made a mix with songs from Skillz, The Carter III and Untitled. There are a bunch of Skillz tracks, but not as many as I would have originally thought and they were the first to go when I had to cut tracks off...

That being said, there are times when I listen and hear the voice that I enjoy. But it's weird hearing Hip Hop Died again, a song I feel like I heard a year ago. For the most part, I like the concept songs, but the somewhat negative review on the second site you sent has a touch of truth behind it.

He name-drops all over the place and you have to imagine that Jeezy is someone he ghostwrote for and My Phone, which is all these celebs that he's gotten phone numbers from. The catch being that he loses the phone at the end.

Sick is the only track that sounds like the old Skillz, which I guess is part of getting older. I like that track, but one could argue it's more name-dropping (Lines like I was sick back when Big Boi and 3000 were the best of friends), but it's more about the flow with me. He slows it down a couple too many times and that's just not great...

Preaching to the Choir, a story track, is a breath of fresh air but if he's dropping So Far, So Good as the first track then I don't know what to say cuz that's one of my least favorite tracks on the 14-song effort

----------------
Now playing: Skillz - Hip Hop Died (Prod. Khari Ferrari & Skillz)
via FoxyTunes

No comments: