Monday, September 22, 2008

The Countdown - 6 to go

Well here we are again. The last week of the season, the playoffs within our grasp and we send a rookie pitcher to the mound.

I'll keep this short so all you Yankee fans can think back on a stadium that was closed for renovations for two years AND YOU PLAYED AT SHEA and then think about the fact that the team isn't leaving town.

They're just going across the street. Calm down about the closing of the place for God's sake, and I'm not the only one. Dave Anderson of the New York Times agrees with me (or I agree with him) and he's been covering games since...

Well, long enough to have over half a century of experience and if he's not impressed, then I don't feel I should be.

Yeah it's sad that they're moving across the street and taking all that history with them, but no one is making a big deal about the closing of Shea and it makes me a little sad. Not because they shouldn't open Citi Field but Shea's got a lot of heart.

I went to Yankee Stadium once. Didn't get a chance to walk around Monument Park or anything, but I did sit behind home plate at Shea on Mother's Day. I did wait out a day game with Brian John, walking around the place to kill time after attending a baseball camp in the morning.

I went with friends I have and have forgotten. I went on the 7 train and by car and I've sat in the bleachers and moved up close for Merengie Night. I've left disappointed and unfulfilled and boarded the train with happiness and hope for a new tomorrow.

Yes, it's sad that Yankee Stadium is closing for a new one across the street. And yes, Citi Field looks great growing in the backdrop behind center field and they'll eventually move the Big Top Apple into the new home, but there will always and only be one big Shea.

One place that housed the Jets, Mets, Yankees and the Beatles.

And now will house the thousands that didn't think it wise to take mass transit to the game.

Next Up:
Sean Marshall, LHP (3-4, 3.62) vs. Johan Santana, LHP (14-7, 2.65)
This is the epitome of a must-win game. It's really simple - A loss here and they won't make the playoffs. There'll be another long winter of silly Yankee fans rightfully making fun of the Next Collaspe and the media will have a field day, not looking into the fact that the Mets resemble the walking wounded more than anything else.

Simple as that.

No comments: