Saturday, November 15, 2008

Cashman for a Day

If I were allowed to steer the Good Ship Yankee for a day and map out the proper strategy for this pivotal offseason below is how I would focus my efforts. The Yankees failed last year because of inconsistent hitting and injuries. The lack of quality starting pitching was a factor but was more of a detriment early in the season than later, it did contribute to the ginormous hole they dug themselves and may have led to the offense pressing and not performing as well.


My Yankee Lineup in 09
C Posada
1B Swisher
2B Cano/Hudson
SS Jeter
3B ARod
RF Nady
CF DeJesus
LF Damon
DH Matsui

SP Joba
SP Wang
SP Peavey
SP Greinke/Lowe
SP Hughes/Pettitte/Mussina

Bullpen
Mo
Marte
Coke
Bruney
Edwar
Veras

I would very much avoid making a 6-7 year commitment to a starting pitcher, CC Sabbathia or anyone else. The smarter move is to try to trade for Peavy. I would give up whatever it takes for him, including Cano. If you give up Cano you sign Hudson or Eckstein. Don't forget the impact Joba had when he became a full fledged starter, he stared down and beat Beckett head to head in Fenway, he is the number 1 they need if they will take the kid gloves off and let him flex his muscles, you have enough in the bullpen with Marte and Mo.

I would prefer to trade Matsui and sign Abreu but I believe Abreu will want too many years and maybe its just time to move on. If you could trade Matsui and sign a professional right handed hitter to replace him I wouldnt object. Or trade him and resign Giambi to be the DH. I don't trust AJ Burnett he has Pavano written all over him and Lowe is a safer bet who has proven he can pitch in big markets. I would take Pettite back on a one year deal for 10 mil or less, I would rather have Mussina and would be willing to do the same one year deal. The Yankees should use their developing farm system to put them in position to win rather than signing a ton of free agents who will block the farmhands and thus devalue them. The key to the offseason is filling centerfield. Melky is not the answer, neither is shifting Jeter there or Swisher. Cameron is a possibility but DeJesus fills all of your needs and is young enough to play there for a while. I would try to get him and Greinke in a deal and be willing to give up anyone but Cano, I would consider giving up Hughes for Greinke.

Thoughts?

1 comment:

zman said...

Looks good. I forwarded this to Cashman, he said he'll call you some time next week.