Sunday, January 25, 2009

Here Come The Warm Jets: The New Coach

Rex Ryan is the new coach of the Jets.

I have to say, I'm happy about this. Of all the candidates they were talking about, this one excites me the most. If Ryan can give the Jets even a reasonable facsimile of the Ravens defense, this Jets fan will be tickled.

Ryan also looks like he will change the culture of the team a bit. Mangini's unnecessarily secretive and paranoid regime wore on everyone. The assistant coaches couldn't talk to the media. Injuries couldn't be discussed. And so on.

Ryan doesn't seem to play that crap. He just says "we're going to build the best football team, so watch out." He's not going to dispassionately spout cliches and platitudes. He's going to be emotional, funny, and fully dedicated to winning. It's going to be a more open and fun environment, which will hopefully translate on the field.

I also like that he has a "fit the system to the players" mentality, and not a "fit the players to the system" approach that Mangini had, especially on defense.

Bringing on other Baltimore people as his defensive staff? Fine by me.

Keeping Westhoff as the special teams coach? Great.

Keeping on Schottenheimer as offensive coordinator? I'm fine with this, too. I don't think he was as much to blame for this past season's collapse as Mangini was. And I like that there will be some continuity on that side, especially given the personell. An established o-line, two above average RBs, some decent receivers, and the unsettled QB position. That screams for keeping the same OC, at least for one year.

There is a lot of work to be done. Can they bring in a few free agents, especially one of the LBs from Baltimore (Bart Scott would be my preference)? Can they get some help in the draft? And what about Favre?

For now, though, I can't be anything but pleased with this choice for coach. Granted, I said the same thing when they hired Mangini. So let's see how I feel in three years.

1 comment:

zman said...

I wonder if Rex Ryan will have the opportunity to punch Kevin Gilbride?