Saturday, April 18, 2009

Game 10 - Mets 5, Brewers 4

I'm not really going to mention The Shef and his pinch-hit 500th home run cuz while it was helpful, the more important question is this:

With that blast and with stats and facts that, according to Tim Kirkjun of ESPN, pretty much makes Sheffield a lock for the Hall, who's hat does he wear? Marlins? Yankees? Braves? Wasn't he a Dodger for a while? I just know for sure it won't be with the Mets. I think Mike Piazza is our next inductee by just a bit over the Dodgers.

Good to see Luis Castillo come through in the clutch with a big hit, but it's yet another game were we left a village on the basepaths and David Wright just doesn't seem to be right right now. He's still hitting, but...

Anyway, I was hoping to read something by Dan and/or Kris about the NBA Playoffs. Maybe they started a new website without me, leaving me here alone with my Met thoughts. Oh well, I'll still plug Disciples of Clyde and to listen to sports radio in Columbia, SC whenever the Mayor is on the air...

B4 I 4get - I had a dream last night. I guess you could call it recurring because it took place in the same class room. Apparently I'm taking classes, I think in music. But the point is this time the teacher let me run the class. After a couple of slip ups and dealing with a couple in the back left corner of the room necking, I came up with this in-class project to deal with Common Sense.

Common has been called a conscience rapper, so I asked to the class to take out a piece of paper and do the following. I might send this request out as an email, just for kicks.

1. Write down your definition of the word conscience when it comes to music.
2. Besides Common, list at least two other rap/hip-hop musicians you would consider conscience.
3. Now list at least two non-hip hop musicians who are also conscience.

Show me your results at the end of class. By the way, Johan Santana's start against the Brewers is a 1:10 tipoff. See you tomorrow.

3 comments:

zman said...

Mos Def, Talib Kweli.

Bob Dylan, Zach de la Rocha (circa Rage Against the Machine).

Do I pass?

Twinkie said...

You most certainly do.

The quirk on it is you could have put Public Enemy, Tribe Called Quest, Kool Moe Dee, Boogie Down Productions or Grandmaster Flash.

Think about rap in the 80s, it was mostly if not all conscience rap. People rapped about things in the community, not things they wanted to see themselves in in the community, like rolling on 22's and the like.

zman said...

You are 100% correct. I blame it all on Master P. "Let me hear you go uuuuh, na-na-na-na" was the beginning of the end of political hiphop.