Monday, June 15, 2009

Game 60 - Yankees 15, Mets 0

Believe what you want to, but I tuned out of this game in about the fourth inning...

That was after Johan Santana proved to be mortal, or remembered that it wasn't the second half of the season so he couldn't spot his fastball well enough to set up the change...

It was 4-0 and the Mets, to their credit, came right back and loaded the bases against an erratic A.J. Burnett, who also couldn't spot his fastball. Then Alex Cora got up and held his swing on a wicked slider, but the third base ump punched him out.

I screamed and my wife came to comfort me, but I knew that was the beginning of the end. Burnett remembered that his slider was absolutely disgusting today and used it to strike out Castillo, then Beltran lined out to short and the inning was over.

An inning where they should have scored at least once, if not twice, ended with another blank slate and I was done.

It reminded me what I wrote after Friday night's game, that I can't wait for the NFL season to begin if I'm gonna have to go through this for the rest of the summer...

I could look on the bright side - the fact that despite a 2-4 week against two of the best teams in all of baseball we're only four games behind the Flithies, but there's not much to hold onto there...

How about it's another year of woulda, coulda, shoulda...We shoulda won two of three from the Flithies, we coulda taken two of three from the Yankess, we woulda been about a game out headed into an offday and a trip to Baltimore...

But that's the problem, dealing every year with all these things that didn't and don't happen. And this just isn't the past two seasons. You could go back to 2006, when they did win the NL East and went through the dramatics of that NLCS...

I could go back a decade to the Bobby Valentine years and missing the playoffs by a couple of games in 1998 by losing five straight to close the season including a three-game sweep in the ATL...

Wow, I had totally forgot that.

I'm gonna go to bed now, a little more sad that I really needed to be.

No comments: