Wednesday, August 5, 2009

10 Defining Movies of the 1980’s

The Empire Strikes Back- The second of 6 installments of this franchise and still the best. Conceptualized by George Lucas but directed by veteran Irvin Kershner, Empire stands as the quintessential sci-fi movies of its generation. Much darker than the original and much better acted in as the movie provides more depth than the first Star Wars.

Raiders of the Lost Ark- Again a Lucas concept but directed by the more skillful eye of Steven Spielberg. A great action adventure with a throwback swashbuckling hero in Indiana Jones this movie brought to life the seriel comics of the 50’s. A movie that spawned four sequels its detail to history with its fictional search for the ark provides for the best action movie of the decade.

Raging Bull- Martin Scorsese took a sports movie and turned it into a work of art. His masterful skill to see things unlike any other director takes us through the up and down life journey of a self destructive boxer. He takes this unreeling character of Jake Lamotta and makes him almost sympathetic.

E.T.- Steven Spielberg’s summer blockbuster about a lonely alien who finds his spaceship crashed on earth. A series of unforgettable scenes and one unforgettable line make this a rewatchable classic. Seen mostly through the eyes of children was a brilliant move in direction for Spielberg.

Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior- Coming from the land down under, not particularly known for its outstanding filmmaking, this action/drama introduced Mel Gibson to mainstream audiences. A wonderfully shot and edited movie in the post apocalyptic Australia is an action movie with style and substance which makes it a classic.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit?- Clearly the most revolutionary movie in terms of direction/art direction of its time. The seamlessness of real actors and cartoon characters make this a visually stunning movie, plus the story works on so many level. Robert Zemeckis did a wonderful job directing this comedy/adventure in the style only he can.

Do the Right Thing- I guess this would be the “indy” movie of this decade. Spike Lee brought us this tale of boiled over racism in a mixed community in Brooklyn. Written and directed by Lee with precision in highlighting the differences between the races but that our prejudices are all the same, and perhaps the best cast in an independent movie (Ossie Davis, Danny Aeillo, Samuel L. Jackson, Ruby Dee, Giancarlo Esposito, John Tuturro, Robin Harris, Rosie Perez, Martin Lawrence and Frank Vincent).

Roger & Me- Much like the “indy” series, one documentary defines a decade of movies. This first ever of this type of documentary by Moore I still believe is his most powerful. He does a great job of highlighting the corruption and greed that helped cripple the auto industry in Flint, his hometown. A definite in any film class on how to make powerful documentary subject.

Back to the Future- One of the most re-watchable movies of any decade. An unforgettable performance by Christopher Lloyd, a creative concept and the one of the 80’s biggest stars come together in this wonderfully written and directed comedy by Robert Zemeckis. It was the typical mid 80’s feel good movie.

Bull Durham- Still one of the best sports movies ever. A interesting concept written semi-autobiographically by Ron Shelton about his time as a minor leaguer. Tim Robbins and Kevin Costner have great chemistry and Susan Saradon is “the straw that stirs the drink”(thanks Reggie). A loveable and re-watchable classic.

Das Boot, Risky Business, This is Spinal Tap, The Color Purple, Stand By Me, Platoon, Broadcast News, Caddyshack, Say Anything, Born on the 4th of July, Field of Dreams, Chariots of Fire, The Big Chill, The Karate Kid, Rain Man.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have seen almost all of the movies mentioned on all of the lists. Here's where my lack of movie watching experience might get me in trouble. Because I am not a regular movie goer, and do not see the volume of movies that all of you guys, mostly Kris, see I do not think I am qualified to make a judgement on many of these movies. I will however disagree with Rain Man not making the top ten of the this decade. I don't know if it was cinematically groundbreaking or anything like that, what I do know is it has two of the better American actors of the last 20 and 30 yers respectfully in Cruise and Hoffman, and I believe two of the best performances of their careers. That put together with a touching story about a young man finding out about a long lost brother and the relationship that grows out of these circumstanes; to me make it worthy of being on the list!

The Regulator

zman said...

And "Scarface"? Wasn't that made in the 1980's?

THE INNOVATOR said...

Andrew

You have come up with some good movies on some of the other lists but in this one I am going to have to respectfully disagree. Now, obviously, even when trying to be objective in this kind of stuff personal bias still comes into play.

In this instance, for me, it clearly does. I think Scarface is the most overrated piece of complete garbage I have ever seen in my life. Clearly the Hip-Hop culture has taken hold of this movie and put it on a level it should not be on. I just went a looked quickyland counted the movies starring Pacino that he was better in than Scarface and that I would rather watch and I put Scarface at #17 all time in Pacino movies, behind Dick fucking Tracy (which he was very good in & nominated for an Acacdemy Award, even though the movie was so so).

As for Die Hard, overall I am not a huge action movie fan, I just think the appeal to the lowest common denominator of the male ego and I never really got into the Die Hard movies. If I was going to put a Bruce Willis 80's movie on there I would probably put Blind Date, that movie was hilarious!!!

zman said...

When I brought up Die Hard I was pretending to be The Regulator - as in, The Regulator would say "Why isn't Die Hard on the list?"

I watch Scarface whenever it's on. In fact, it was on last night and I watched it. There's no way I will ever watch Back to the Future, ET, Roger Rabbit, or Say Anything. I already saw them and have no interest in seeing them again. I can watch Scarface over and over, like Ferris Beuller or Jaws.

Anonymous said...

What about any of the John Hughes movies....Those movies are on all the time and I'm sure everyone reading this has watched them at least five times....breakfast club, weird science, sixteen candles etc...those movies are the 80s...besides back to shcool of course.

Anonymous said...

oh yeah...Ferris Bueller to.