Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Confessions of a...

I think it's safe now. I think it's OK to say this out loud...

My name is Martin Kester and I'm a Mets fan.
(HI MARTIN)
I've been a fan since 1985-86 and have a memory of my mom taking me out of Lowell School in Teaneck, then driving me to Manhattan to watch a parade from a sign post.

I remember my mom taking me to Shea Stadium for Mother's Day and scoring seats right behind home plate with the player's wife. Then in the ninth inning, I sneaked down as close as possible to watch the Mets win it in the 9th.

But those happy memories are few and far between. I have more memories of cringing as Armando "Smoke" Benitez or Bradon Looper or Aaron Heilman was called from the bullpen. I have distinct memories of sitting on the floor of a somewhat empty apartment in Portland, Oregon and watching Kenny Rodgers throw ball four in the NLCS. Standing in a slightly more furnished apartment in Columbia, South Carolina and wondering about the answer to this Jeopardy question - (Drafted by the California Angels in 1992, his unmemorable six-year career was highlighted by starting in left field in the 2000 World Series.)

Then 2006 and the Timo Perez catch that sadly is forgotten because Adam Wainwright made his name known with a curve ball that is still buckling Beltran's knees right now...

But this was supposed to be just the beginning. I mean, we had a young core (Reyes, Wright) with a star in his prime (Beltran) and some young pitchers (Maine, Perez, Pelfrey) all under 30 with potential...

I can't continue. Mostly cause everyone knows what would happen the following two seasons.
This year, of course, was supposed to be different and at the end of May, they were seven games over .500 and in first place.

Then the walls crumbled down.

Whether it was injury, poor upper management, poor field management, crappy minor league system, horrible players and their horrible play, sad mistakes at the wrong time or a really long stretch against top teams...

Point is the wheels came off and instead of stopping to change the tires, it seemed like someone decided to ride on the rims, then the axle and then getting out to push the three-wheel vehicle to the side of a cliff and push it over, tossing a Moltov's cocktail at the gas tank with precise accuracy that causes everything to explode.

I stopped paying attention six to eight weeks ago and it was hard. I purchased an XM Radio with the main purpose being the ability to listen to Howie Rose call Mets games. Needless to say, I stopped listening to that thing. In fact, I would have canceled the service but they continue to give me three months for free.

So it's there and if the game is on, it's hard to not turn by and listen to a few innings...

But then I hear something like this that sent me over the edge...
"The Mets will send 2-3-4 to the plate. Angel Pagan, Cory Sullivan and Jeff Francour."

I nearly threw the device out the window of my car. And it was then that I realized I should pay attention to other things. Things like Entourage and the bravado to make Turtle the most interesting character in Season 6, similar to running a successful offense through Leon Powe or Ben Wallace.

I figured out that I can listen to Giants football games on my cell phone, something very useful living in Atlanta and getting Falcons games instead of the best and most boring team going.

I've worked at getting The Terminal Podcast off the ground. Check the link to listen to previous episodes (and remember we're still in the early stages) and all the while tried to ignore my family and find time for myself. One would be surprised how much time three women of various ages and stages can take from a man.

Well, I guess you wouldn't.

Either way, I will host another episode of The Terminal tomorrow and post it ASAP. We'll be previewing the MLB Playoffs and I'll make sure not to mention the Mess in the Citi. Be sure to give a listen and download it each week and tell your friends.
----------------
Now playing: Martin Kester - Terminal 9/29
via FoxyTunes

No comments: