Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Here Come The Warm Jets: Week 16 2009

This is the time of year where we're thankful for the good people, friends and family, in our lives.

I was taking a train from northern Illinois back to Chicago while the Jets-Colts game was on. I didn't have to worry about knowing what was going on, though, since I was getting regular updates from Matt, Greg, and my brother Eric, who all knew I was on a train.

Sometimes it's the little things. This story won't make it on an Oprah special, but it was heartwarming to me nonetheless. All my people taking care of me, making sure I knew what was going on with the Jets game I couldn't watch. Aaaaw.

Anyway, for once the Jets got lucky all the way around. Everyone they needed to lose lost. The Colts pulled the starters, and the Jets had played well enough up to that point that they were able to take advantage and win the game.

And now it's simple: win against the Bengals and make the playoffs. Lose and they don't make it.

The game's at home. Last game in the Meadowlands ever. Last game of this entire NFL regular season. Prime time Sunday night. The Bengals don't have anything really to play for. The Jets have a good enough defense to beat good teams, let alone a team with not much to play for.

This is one of those games where it helps to have a great run game and great defense. Don't turn the ball over. Grind the win out. Figure the Bengals stop giving a crap around the 3rd quarter, if not earlier.

Or, you know, do what the Cowboys did last year and get walloped by 35 points or whatever.

Either way, all things considered, it's fitting that the season comes down like this. Maybe it shouldn't have had to, considering the 3 or 4 games the team should have won if the QB wasn't such a turnover machine. But the QB is a rookie. The head coach is a rookie.

It won't be a losing season. The defense is great, and just about every important piece will be back next year. The offensive line has been pretty good, and they'll all be back. Between Thomas Jones, Shonn Greene, and Leon Washington, the run game should be good again next year. G-d willing, Sanchez improves next year.

So this is where my mind is at - of course I want them to win. Of course it will suck if they lose, especially if they do that classic lose-in-the-last-minute Jets special.

But it won't be the end of the world. This isn't the last shot for this group. It's just the beginning.

Anyone buying that? No? Yeah, me neither. Never mind. I'm going to go prepare my liver for the drinking and crying on Sunday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A part of me wants to see the Jets lose just to witness the riot that will break out while leaving Giants stadium for the last time. The NFL might seriously regret moving this game to 8:20...This game gives us every excuse in the book to get utterly annihlated...can't wait

-Anonymous Jets Fan

zman said...

Apparently they won't sell beer at this game, probably to avoid said riot.