Friday, November 16, 2007

Filowitz's Friday Five

1) Do read Kris’ post about Bonds below (and Martin's too.) Personally, I just wish this particular story would go away. It’s too serious and dreary a topic for sports, and not serious enough for what else is going on in the world. I want my sports to be entertaining. If I want to get bogged down in wonky legalese, I’ll read about health care.

2) While we’re at it, can the entire sport of baseball go away for a little while, too? I’m done with A-Rod stories. I’m done with the Yankees and the Red Sox. It’s football and basketball time now. You bat swinging gentlemen can please leave me alone until the spring. Thanks.

3) Did you realize that Zach Randolph is leading the league in average rebounds per game right now? Seriously. I wonder, though, if this is less due to his prowess on the glass and more due to the fact that he plays alongside Eddy Curry, perhaps the worst rebounding big man in the history of basketball (which according to John Hollinger is not really much of an exaggeration.)

4) Have you seen any of the Memphis Grizzlies this year? Their record isn’t great, but they’ve got some fascinating players in Pau Gasol, Rudy Gay, and yes, Darko Milicic. Not to mention Mike Miller, Kyle Lowry, and Mike Conley Jr. Once they truly figure out Marc Iavaroni’s offense, they are going to be dangerous. Or at the very least a lot of fun to watch. Tonight they play New Orleans. No doubt I’ll be watching that on League Pass before I go out (I'm going to see Mission of Burma tonight. Awesome band. They were in Our Band Could Be Your Life, which is one of the best books about rock music ever, and you should read it.)

5) This Sunday night, we shall all be Bills fans. And, most likely, we shall all be upset about it.

1 comment:

zman said...

More Randall Cunningham highlights. Because I can't get enough of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gI04sb7fhI