Friday, November 16, 2007

Just like Barry, I wanted my own space

This originally was a comment for the last post, but I realize I had too much to say...

Let me begin with what I started with

Inovator, I'm saddened that you though I would want an asterisk. Saddened that you don't think I'm agreeing with you on more than half of what you've already said.

I was more upset that they hijacked PTI, that the Mets will employ a Yorvit Torrealba-Ramon Castro tandem behind the plate and that Roy Hibbert (left off your All-American list, by the way) and the No. 5 Hoyas pounded past Michigan at the Phone Booth in D.C.

My main problem was stated with gusto by Steven A. Smith on the 6 p.m. ScoreCenter.
One can't argue with the feds going after Bonds for lying. One can't deny that Bonds was on something, doing drugs he shouldn't have been, but the indicment means little to proving his guilt. It just means the Feds think they have a case and our resident lawyer can back me up.

It doesn't mean he's guilty, not yet and Ray Ratto of the Chronicle agrees.

But it's really interesting that MLB, the feds and the media only cracked down like sharks with chum in the water when he got close to Ruth, Aaron and the record.

Maybe if he was a nice guy. Maybe if as he got closer, he got smiley around the media and would give Pedro Feliz 15 mins. each night for the late ScoreCenter...

But hindsight is 20/20 and the reality is Bonds, like so many other players, pitchers and batters alike, used whatever they could to get ahead...just like every NFL player from the 60s (North Dallas Forty) until now (Shawn 'Lights Out" Merriman (sp)), just like every baseball player who popped 'reds' and 'greenies' after a long night out right before a 1 p.m. day game in the 60s, 70s, 80 and 90s.

Like it or not, we are a drug culture and have been for some time. I can remember not going to the Bird Sancutary with Jason, Jared and Sean, but I can remember my college years. Well, I can try to remember what isn't hazed in a cloud of smoke.

We take drugs for recreation. We take drugs for health (NyQuil is my personal favorite). We take drugs for the hell of it and we become addicted. As much as is made about steroids, I'm sure alcohol has derailed more careers, baseball and whatever, than a needle ever has.

They bitch about the integrity of the game, but what about Mickey Mantle playing with a hangover? What about Max Magee, God rest his soul, winning the first Super Bowl MVP still drunk from the night before? They make interesting stories now, but is thatjust because they weren't reported at the time?

Because we have the 24-7-365 news cycle and the need to fill dead air on sports talk radio, we now have all this crap.

There is the black and white elephant sitting in the corner, but there are so many things keeping this in the middle of the room, only the lazy will race to race.

I'm done for now, but since I was thinking about posting about America's obsession with O.J. and this loosly applies, check out this memorable Mos Def verse...

You can laugh and critisize Michael Jackson if you wanna,
Woody Allen molested and married his step daughter.
Same press kicking dirt on Michael's name
show Woody and Sun Yi at the playoff game (holding hands)
Now sit back and just think about that:
Would he get that same press if his name was Woody Black?
O.J. found innocent by a jury of his peers
and they've been fucking with that nigga for the last five years.
Is it fair, is it equal, is it just, is it right?
Do you do the same shit when the defendant's face is white?
- "Mr. Nigga" - Black On Both Sides

No comments: