Monday, December 3, 2007

All Hail, the BCS

So we have a real fine mess, for those of you who actually care. We now have a 2 loss team in the BCS National Championship game and an Ohio State team who most people think will get crushed again by an SEC squad.

I love the BCS, it is the coolest system in the world. It makes no sense, nobody is really sure how it all works but every year we stick with it and we all watch, all the games. And don't pretend to be all high and mighty, you will watch Georgia vs Hawaii, you will. And you know why you will, because you love college football and that is what matters.

Does it really matter who wins the national title? I could care less honestly. You know what I care about, great football like Boise State vs Oklahoma last season. We watched it, we loved it and we will remember it, forever. Ten years from now you will sit around and talk about that game and not Ohio State vs Florida. There will always be a game you will remember and it doesn't matter if its the national championship game.

Now a lot of comments will point toward March Madness and how that system works best. But again I will argue the national championship game is not usually the most memorable game, some years it is, but not recently. Last year the game I remember is the Vanderbilt/Wazzou double overtime thriller, or the Georgetown/Vanderbilt Jeff Green travel game. I barely remember watching either of the Final Four games. A few years ago I remember watching the Arizona/Illinois comeback game, but I don't remember the National Title game.

And one last thing, remember if college presidents thought they could make more money having some fancy playoff system they would do it in a heartbeat. These presidents are bottom line people when it comes to money.

Now please leave all your comments, I love the BCS it sparks more opinion and talk than anything in sports, except maybe steroids.

3 comments:

Joe Grossberg said...

I don't.

I think college sports is stupid, except for March Madness.

Dan Filowitz said...

Kris is right:

I'll probably watch Georgia-Hawaii, and I definitely won't care who wins the national championship, though I'll probably watch LSU-OSU, too.

I do love how worked up people get about this. The BCS system is dumb. It was always dumb, and will always be dumb. You can't get mad about it NOW. You have to resign yourself to it.

Now I'll go back to enjoying the long, nationally televised humiliation of Cam Cameron, thanks.

zman said...

The BCS is great. I think we should switch to a BCS-style system to decide the winner of the Sherman Ave. fantasy football league. We'll find some really biased folks to seed all 10 teams, then we'll play a game. Then the same biased guys can vote on who should be the league champion. That sounds like a sound and fair way to decide things. Sort of like the 2000 election.