Friday, November 30, 2007

Filowitz's Friday Five

1) When you lose by 45 points on national TV, like the Knicks did yesterday, something has to change. Until they redeem themselves, they should be forced to play home games at a YMCA on Staten Island. Each member of this sorry squad should have to go personally apologize to Walt Frazier, and Willis Reed, and Bill Bradley, and Earl Monroe, and Bernard King, and Patrick Ewing, and Charles Oakley, and John Starks, and Anthony Mason, and Larry Johnson, and Latrell Sprewell for tarnishing the uniform. I can’t wait to hear how the Garden treats them tonight against Milwaukee. There will be blood, and bile, and vomit, and something will be lit on fire.

2) Can this be the thing that finally brings the end of Isiah? If he survives this, I suggest we throw him into a river to see if he floats, as I suspect he is in fact a witch.

3) Last night was an evening of NBA blow-outs. The Lakers absolutely killed the Nuggets, and Golden State trounced the Rockets. The Nuggets have the same problem as last year – they play horrific defense, and can’t survive if their top 2 have an off night (Iverson shot poorly) since they don’t really have a reliable number 3 option on offense. And don’t look now, but Golden State is back to being that team from the end of last season. Baron Davis, Stephen Jackson, and Monta Ellis are as talented a top 3 as you’re going to find, and arguably the most fun to watch. The Warriors will not be losing very many home games this year, for sure. For any Knicks fans like me that are looking for another team to root for since ours is depressing, Golden State is a good pick.

4) Reminder: If the Jets lose to the Dolphins on Sunday, I will be vocally demanding the firing of the entire team. And if you know anything about me, it’s that I can be quite vocal when I want to be. And determined. And a bit of an asshole. NoMangenius.com is still an available domain. The Dolphins may win a game this year. It just cannot be against the Jets.

5) I’m not a huge college basketball guy, but whoa, have you seen this guy Michael Beasley on Kansas State? 6’10” power forward, averaging 26.7 points and 15.0 rebounds, shooting 60.8% from the field through 7 games. People don’t typically average 26 and 15 in college. Wow.

4 comments:

zman said...

I went to the Knicks/C's game last night. It was a debacle. No one passes, everyone shoots, and no one can rebound. The Garden crowd actually started a "Fire Isaiah" chant. You know things are bad when opposing crowds want you fired. With about 6 minutes left in the game, the Knicks down by at least 40, there was a timeout (TV or called I don't know). Isaiah stood up, took a clipboard from an assistant coach, turned his chair to face the team, and started drawing up plays. Is there a 40-point play in basketball? What the hell was he doing?!?

I am declaring myself a free agent basketball fan. I will send a letter to all teams in the NBA explaining that I can no longer root for the Knicks as currently constituted, and that I'm looking for a new team. I will ask them to woo me. I will cc Isaiah on all such correspondence.

Joe Grossberg said...

"People don’t typically average 26 and 15 in college. Wow."

Dwight Howard would be. He's 21 years old and averaging 23.5 ppg / 14.5 rpg / 2.7 bpg /61% FG in the NBA. And his team is 14-3, including a win over Boston.

THE INNOVATOR said...

Wow, I am sorry I have not had enough time to compose my feelings on the whole situation, but Dan expresses them well.

However, unlike Andrew, I won't give up, I can't really see declaring myself a fan free agent. I mean what if the New Orleans Hornets do a good job in the wooing process, then I have to root for them? No, I am a Knickerbocker, through these dark times I will remain a Knickerbocker and come out in the end better for having gone through this experience; which by the way I still label the Layden/Isaiah Years. Lest we all forget the quagmire that Isaiah inherited when he took over for the diposed, and I am assuming now deceased Scott Layden.

As for other NBA news Dan, why aren't the Rockets any better? Seriosuly, this team should not be getting blown out, they shoudl be doing the blowing. Oh wait, that didn't sound right. Also, didn't I tell you about the Nuggets? Much like the Warriors they are fun to watch and will have all kinds of jollies in the regular season but come nut cutting time they cant stop anyone.

Speaking of bad teams, yes Michael Beasly is great, and his teammate Bill Walker will play in the league very soon but they have already lost two games and will lose upwards of 10-12 games with two lottery picks because they are the most god awfully coached squad in the country.

Joe Grossberg said...

OK, so was the Jets victory decisive enough for you?