Friday, January 25, 2008

Filowitz's Friday Five

1) We approach our first Sunday with no football. What are you planning to do? Me, I'm planning on going out into my neighborhood and paying a couple of homeless looking folks to tackle each other while I sit with my buddy drinking and cracking jokes.

2) I see Cam Cameron has been hired as offensive coordinator for the Ravens. Game recognizes game just like suck recognizes suck, I suppose.


"I just smelled my own coaching!"

3) Did anyone see the ridiculous stretch of the third quarter where the Warriors were intentionally fouling Josh Boone of the Nets? Now, granted, Josh Boone is 34% from the line, which is Legally-Blonde-2 awful, and he did in fact air ball a free throw in this game (and not short but off to the right, which is hard to do.) But this isn't basketball. This is like walking a kid in little league so you can face the semi-retarded kid for the last out. I expect more from what's supposed to be the most entertaining team in the league. Like the 22-0 run they went on in the fourth quarter, for example.

4) On ESPN the other night, Tim Legler spent about 3 minutes talking about how good the Hornets are without mentioning David West once. He talked about Chris Paul, and Tyson Chandler, and the other shooters like Mo Peterson and Peja. He then closed the segment by saying that what the Hornets need is a forward they can throw the ball to in the low post, a guy who can really score. Um, they have one, Tim. His name is David West. He averages 19 points a game (along with 9 rebounds, with a PER just over 20) and is probably the second-best guy on the team behind Paul. God, I hate ESPN. All they do at this point is yell at me or tell me things that either aren't interesting or aren't true. They never enhance my sports knowledge in any way - you know, showing me things that I couldn't see on my own, like, say, slowing down a key play so I can see who set the good pick or who was slow on a defensive rotation, or something like that. I can barely take 10 minutes of any ESPN program any more, if that much.

5) On the podcast this week, we do a fun NBA challenge that you readers can participate in. We tried to construct a winning team using only people making less than $7 million, with no all-star appearances, not drafted in the last two years, and not about to get a max contract. Listen in, then go HERE and play along. See what you think of our teams, and then tell us your own in the comments.

No comments: