Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Mr. Wildcat

My life has been spiriling away for the last few days. It became appereant that we were set to hire a new basketball coach sometime early this week. That news has brought an onslaught of phone calls, text messages and emails which has driven me up a wall; so thanks to all of you who really don't care and havent bothered me during this time. However, in all this comotion we get caught up in during our lives something always happens which puts us right back in our place.

I was checking the internet one last time before heading to bed when I came across the news of the sudden passing of Bill Keightley. Now to most of you the name means absolutely nothing, but I know you have see him on national television before, a lot. Keightley's alias was "Mr. Wildcat" and he was the old white haired gentlemen who always had the seat right next to the Kentucky basketball head coach, and to his side he holds the clipboard. He has been doing this for 47 years in Lexington and served every coach from Adolph Rup to Billy Gillespie.

I had the absolute pleasure of getting to know Mr. Keightley the year I worked at Kentucky and the years since as I have remained in the Southeastern Conference. Everytime we played the Wildcats, home or road, I would make it point to seek him out just to say hello and see how he was doing. Unfortunately the old man always beat me to it, and he would come walking up to me arms out ready for a warm embrace. I was nothing, simply a gnat that passed through the greatness that is Kentucky basketball, but not to Mr. Keightley. To him I was as important as Rick Pitino or Tubby Smith, Jamal Mashburn or Melvin Turpin.

In 2002 the University began giving out a yearly Bill Keightley award to the "individual who understands and exemplifies the pride, respect, and the positive attributes associated with being a part of the Kentucky basketball program." Well I cannot think of anyone who would ever be deserving of the award if they have to live up to the standard of the award bearers name. I only hope that sometime I can have as positive and lasting effect on one person as Mr. Keightley has on so many lives.

Mr. Wildcat you will be missed by all who knew you and no Kentucky Wildcat basketball game will ever be the same.

No comments: