Thursday, June 5, 2008

Random thoughts at random times

I was watching a commercial last night for the special 2 disc DVD set of the movie Semi-Pro, starring the oft terrible but sometimes funny Will Ferrell. I don't know a single person who actually saw this movie, and I know people who have seen both Tomb Raiders. I was thinking to myself who in their right mind would by this DVD set, I mean seriously I would rather buy a 2 disc set of Can’t Hardly Wait. Hey Will we get, your schtick has been done to death, by you. Think about if every movie Adam Sandler kept making was like Billy Madison, that is basically Ferrell at this point. He is like the Hilary Clinton of movies, he can’t go away fast enough.

By the way, most of America missed some good hockey. Now I am not going to pretend to be a huge hockey fan anymore but the Stanley Cup is still cool. The three overtimes the other night was amazing and then last night was maybe the best final two minutes in the history of the Stanley Cup. Again I don’t pretend to be a historical expert on Stanley Cup games but in a clincher to have a team down two goals with 2 to go and almost tie it was awesome. The Penguins scored on a power play and then had two shots in the final 4 seconds to tie the game and send it into overtime. The puck trickling across the goal line as time expires is like Kevin Dyson getting stopped at the goal line in the Super Bowl.

Hey the NBA Finals start tonight. Do yourself a favor, watch. If not for anything than the joy that is Kobe Bryant on a basketball court. As the finals plod a long over the next few weeks I am sure we will have more analysis and historical perspective.

I think I have to go to church confession this week, why you ask? Breaking the 11th Commandment; Thous shall not watch “Living Lohan.” I confess I watched about 7-10 minutes of this god awful television show, why, I have no idea but I may have to go to therapy.

Again a subject we will shed more light on as November draws closer, but let us not ignore the nomination of Barack Obama and the historical signifigance. Yesterday myself, one of our assistant coach’s and head coach Darrin Horn sat around discussing Obama and if any of our student athletes truly understood the magnitude of what just happened. Hopefully young people, and ignorant people all over this country understand where we are as a country and how much things like this actually improve our country and the claim that we are the greatest nation in the world.

1 comment:

The Bopper said...

I liked "Can't Hardly Wait" the first time it came out and was called "16 Candles"

Stanley Cup was awesome this year. Thanks for watching as my shirt is hopefully already in the mail.