Sunday, September 28, 2008

The Countdown is over

A day in the life of a pathetic Mets fan

4:20 pm: I'm pacing back and forth between my computer screen with GameDay and the bathroom, which holds the only radio in this apartment that I can receive my XM Radio on.

Only problem is the signal comes in choppy at times, but I was able to hear enough to curse when Manuel went to the bullpen after Ollie struggled into the sixth inning, I heard enough to know Carlos Beltran tied the game with a 2-run homer and I was just getting back to the room after putting my daughter down to hear Scott Schoenwiess and Luis Ayala give up back to back homers to Wes Helms and Dan Uggla.

I'm not even taking happiness in the fact that the Cubs are playing close with the Brewers right now, but I'll continue this later...

4:35 pm: The radio feed went out as Beltran walked to put runners on 1st and 2nd with two outs and Carlos Delgado coming to the plate. Of course, the Marlins went to the pen for a veteran left handed pitcher Arthur Rhodes...

Did I mention he also announced that the Brewers have won and that the season is now on the line? Let's see about the MVP voting...

Oh, did he just line out to left field and now I've got to hope we get into the last of the ninth with the deficit just at two. I'm tempted to leave my apartment and go to my car for the bottom of the ninth. That way, when I start cursing and screaming I won't influence my 7-year old or wake up the baby.

5:05 pm: I did go to the car and listened as David Wright started off the frame with the awe-inspiring at-bat you like. Full count, a couple of foul balls and then...

He popped up to second base.

Yeah, they walked Easley and Ryan Church had a chance to tie the game but they don't call it Big Shea for nothing and that's why pitchers will challenge anyone to pound it out to straight away center field.

Matt Linstrom did, the former Met farmhand, and Church didn't get it all and the walls of Shea will come tumbling down.

I might post about the season lost in a bit, but I think waking up my daughter is more important. Besides, the Giants are on a bye week.

No comments: