Sunday, November 23, 2008

Be afraid. Be very afraid

I'm in Atlanta, which means instead of getting the battle atop the NFC I got the battle atop the NFC South.

Granted, it was a good game. I didn't watch or anything, but it was important and all that. but I would have liked to have seen the defending Super Bowl champs against the Greatest Show on Retractable Turf (I would love to say that's my line but...)

So I didn't see the win, didn't see Eli throw for three touchdowns with no picks and complete passes to at least 6 different receivers (None of which were named Plaxican't Burress, who's decision to take his kid to school or whatever it was has fucked up my fantasy team to no end).

I didn't see the Giants prove they could win without Brandon Jacobs in the backfield, but Ward's 60+ yards on 15+ carries shows that two heads are better than one.

I didn't see the defensive line get to Warner only once (J. Tuck, a Man with a capital M), but I did notice the stats and how they shut down the Cardinals' run game. Warner did throw for 300 yards or something like that, but it's like Spagnolo did against the Eagles a couple of weeks ago. Look back on that game and as great as McNabb looked, the mission was to shut down Westbrook and that's what they did.

I didn't see Manning and company fail to score after a long kickoff return by Dom Hixon. I didn't see Corey Webster and Aaron Ross get beaten by one of, if not the best receiving corp in the league, but I did see that Kenny Phillips led the team with seven tackles, which means GM Jerry Reese still knows what's he's doing even on a no-brainer pick like that.

I might not see next week's game against Washington, the first of three NFC East games in a row, but here's the catch. What I haven't seen is the same thing that the rest of the NFL hasn't seen.

The Giants, as a team, play a complete game.

Think about it. Then think about the fact that Tom Coughlin and the coaching crew were going to say something like that anyway, that this team has few stars and plenty of reasons to play with chips on their shoulders, that after running the table on the road last year they're perfect at home in a season where it looks like they might stay there for January.

If I was another team in the NFL, and I don't give two shits or a fuck who you are, I would take head to the title of this post and know the defending champs are hungry and will only get better next year with the return of Osi...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm more afraid of people who claim to be fans and don't even watch the game. Are you really giving an analysis of a game you didn't watch? Do they not have DirecTV in Atlanta? How about a bar?...The bandwagon left the station last January!!

THE INNOVATOR said...

The Giants are frighteningly effecient. The do absolutely what they need to do. If they need to score 50 points they would do it. Their top rusher (perhaps league MVP) Brandon Jacobs out and Plaxico Burress basically out, on the road against another viable playoff team, and they just do what it takes.

All of a sudden their special teams show up, huge! Domenik Hixon has been the starting receiver in two games this year, catching 10 balls for 170 yards and a TD, but he mainly sits on the bench. This team is an exact replica of the Patriots during their dynastic years, everyone stepping up whenever their number is called and nobdody's ego being too big for the team, not even Plax.

Twinkie said...

I love it. I've been called an bandwagon jumper by some random person not brave enough to take a tag...

Well Done!

BTW, they don't have DirecTV in my apartment, bars and drinks cost more than I'm willing to spend and I could have sworn all my analysis was prefaced with "I didn't see", you tool.

Yurri The Fucking Giant said...

Twink/Slipper - WHo do you guys think are the front runners for MVP in either league this year. One of the bizarre years where there really is no clear cut favorite to win it in either league.

Thus far look like in the NFC is Warner, Jacobs, Eli, and possibly if Romo plays out of his ass the last 5 games.

In the AFC I would think it has to be Favre, and maybe depending on how they play down the stretch Manning or Cassel. You think this is the year a defense guy takes the crown? Tuck, Haynesworth, Ray Ray....

Also, if Kurt Warner wins the MVP does that make him an automatic hall of famer? I mean I never think of Kurt as a HOF caliber guy, but a 3 time league MVP and super bowl MVP, his QB rating, completion %.... how could you keep him out?