Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The Hardwood Report 12/3

Being the resident college hoops expert, having a lot more free time on my hands, and also a lot more free to comment on college hoops I will try and do a weekly segment. After a few weeks and an average of about 4 or 5 games per team we can now really settle in and evaluate what players and teams are for real.


CONTENDERS- Teams who have a legit shot at the national title and making the Final Four in Detroit.


North Carolina- This is the no brainer of all time. Legitimately they shouldn’t lose a game, their backup five would be a top 25 team. Hansborough is a good a college players as there ever has been and he has one mission this year.


Connecticut- I really like the makeup of this team; a good big man, a top of the line scorer and good veteran guards coupled with a hall of fame coach maybe on his last hurrah. If they were to win it all I wouldn’t be surprised to see Calhoun hang it up


Gonzaga- I truly believe they are the third best team in the country, behind Uconn and UNC. I would also say they have the most talented starting five in the country. If they can learn to play defense and Austin Daye reach’s his limitless potential they can win the whole thing.


Tennessee- I had to see this squad first this year to see how new guys like Bobby Maze and Scotty Hopson would do replacing Jajuan Smith and Chris Lofton. Well they might not be as explosive but they are more solid ball players that don’t rely as heavily on the three ball, Half court defense will remain a key for this team all year


Louisville- I know they just lost bad to Western Kentucky, but that is an anomaly. Freshman sensation Samardo Samuels is the real deal and I love their backcourt with Edgar Sosa and Terrence Williams. In NCAA tournament play you can never count out experienced guard play.


Pittsburgh- If you read this or my old blog you will know I have always loved Pitt. This year is no different, they have good Guards, a superstar in Sam Young and a quality big man in Dejuan Blair.


PRETENDERS- Teams who may look good on paper and even sometimes when you watch them, but buyer beware; they have flaws and wont make deep runs.


Wake Forest- They are the biggest team I have ever seen, and I saw them in person. Their guards scare me and you can tell that just lack a certain team chemistry, and that can come from the relative inexperience of their Coach Dino Gaudio.


Oklahoma- Again they ar ea big team and they have a super duper star in Blake Griffin. Their guards are still a question mark even with the addition of Willy Warren and I think Griffin can be limited offensively down the stretch.


Notre Dame- I hate Notre Dame and everything it stands for and pretends to represent and they have too many whitey’s!!!


Purdue- I love their toughness and I love Matt Painter as a coach. Robbie Hummell may be the best player nobody knows and I would always take him on my team. I don’t like their lack of an inside presence and their overall inexperience. Check back with me next year though.


Duke- Very similar to Purdue. I think they lack a little bit of an inside presence. I think they may be a year away, but I have a huge man crush on Kyle Singler

No comments: