Monday, December 8, 2008

Steph and Bron

Nowadays I have some more time on my hands so I get a chance to check out plenty of other basketball games, a small passion of mine. Here in South Carolina high school season has started and I have seen some good games already. But Saturday was a grand day. I was planning on going to Charlotte to check out the Bobcats take on the Cleveland Cavaliers. The chance to see LeBron in person was big draw, but also to see one of my guys in the league Tarence Kinsey was another.

Through a friend who works for the Bobcats I procured a free media pass (he is the media relations coordinator). He informed that he had a hectic day on hand because at Noon that very same day the Davidson Wildcats were taking on the NC State Wolfpack. Now I was intrigued. The chance to see one of college basketballs best players, Davidson’s Stephen Curry, up close was also an attractive notion. I decided why not make it a double header day of basketball, between games I could find a sports bar and watch the college football games and enjoy a few beverages.

If you followed this blog last spring during the NCAA Tournament you know about my man crush on Steph Curry. Having talked to a friend of mine this year who played against him this year he assured me that Steph was definitely the real deal. Watching a game live you can really watch a player and everything he does. Plus Curry has the ball most of the time, so it is not hard to concentrate on him. Well Curry put on a show for the 12,000 people in attendance as he scored 44 of his teams 72 in a thrilling victory over NC State. His backcourt mate, Max Paulus Goehsslin got thrown out of the game about 6 minutes in and his big men were in foul trouble all game, so it was all up to Curry.

With the score tied at 64 at the under 4:00 minute time out it was time for Curry to take over. The final score would wind up 72-67 with Curry scoring the final 8 for the Wildcats. He hit one free throw after being fouled as they tried to double team him in the backcourt. Nest time down the court he drove and hit a floating lay-up, high off the glass, simply a thing of beauty. Then came his signature shot. He ran a play for Brendan McKillop (the coach’s son) to get a 3 in the corner. McKillop launched and hit nothing but air. As the ball came down ad Davidson player recovered it and did not realize the gravity of the situation. Curry did. He implored his teammate to pass him the ball as time ticked away on the shot clock. Curry received the ball about 5 feet behind the NBA arch and with 4 seconds on the shot clock, he drilled a 30 footer. N.B.N. baby, nothing but nylon.

The question arise, how good is Curry? Can he play on the next level? Who would you compare him to? The answers, really fucking good, absolutely, and Ray Allen would be someone I would compare him too. The kid has the total package. Question were going to arise this year with him being a marked man and having to play the point guard position. He is answering all of those questions. He has a great saavy about him, he has all the moves physically and a jump shot that is pure as snow. He is not super athletic but like I said his understanding of the game more than makes up for it, especially on the defensive end. He will be a player at the next level and I would definitely take him, you know on the Knicks even.

Speaking of NBA basketball I got a chance to see one of the all time greats, up close and personal. I have seen Jordan, Magic, Bird and Kobe all in person and now I can add LeBron to that list. The first thing I really wanted to get an appreciation for was how big LeBron is, because he looks so massive on the court and reports have him weighing as much as 275 lbs.

I had a chance to be down on the court before the game. I went over to say hello to Tarence and to get a good look at LeBron and that is when I noticed that he has broader shoulders that Ben Wallace. As he walked to half court for the opening tip I noticed him standing next to Emeka Okafor, and not looking a whole lot shorter than him. And then to watch him at that size moved so easily and fluidly on the court gave me a brand new appreciation for how good he is and can be when all is said and done.

After the game, having a media pass, I was able to go back to the locker room area. I waited outside the Cavs locker room, again to get a chance to chat with Tarence but also to again see LeBron, maybe even meet him. While sitting there talking to Tarence LeBron emerged from the locker room, massive and well dressed. He came up to Tarence for a second to say what’s up and said hello to me too. Not often am I star struck, but in the presence of King James I was indeed.


To quote Ice Cube: “Damn right it was a good day.”

1 comment:

zman said...

Whatever. Same old Jets