Thursday, April 23, 2009

Game 15 - Cardinals 12, Mets 8

I drove a box truck to Rome, GA this morning, knowing I would be able to listen to a few innings on the way back via my XM Radio.

Since Rome isn't as populated as the one in Italy, my journey to the middle of nowhere meant I didn't get great reception. When I finally did, the game was tied at 1-1. I listened as Livan got into trouble in the fourth.

Fat Albert got on, stole his second base of the series and scored on a Rick Ankiel double down the line (again). Livan got two outs then couldn't close the door and three singles later, including one by the futha-mucking pitcher, it was 4-1.

The Mets came back in the next frame with Jose Reyes getting on base thanks to a Albert error in which the announcer (Mike something, I feel like I should know his name. I know is call. The whole "Get up, get up!") didn't think it was.

Anyway, Reyes on first and Alex Cora singles and it's first and second. Beltran flies out to right field and no one advances. Don't know if it was possible, but that's the point. Another unproductive out.

Delgado follows with a single and moves the fastest player in the lineup just one base. David Wright's RBI single to right that only scores Reyes from third. That brings up Gary Sheffield.

Now I know this is getaway day, but I have to say here that I like Wright in the No. 5 hole. In the everyday lineup, Church's left-handed bat would be behind him. If this was an any/every day lineup in my world. But it wasn't and instead of Church and his .355-plus average, Sheff was up.

Mike the Cards announcer called the first pitch like this from Kyle Loshe.
"Outside for a...oh wait, they called it a strike. Wow, that was outside."
The next pitch was a called outside strike and the call went something like this.
"Loshe hits the outside corner for a strike and Sheffield doesn't like that call.
"Yeah, but that one was closer than that first pitch."

Shef would bounce the next pitch to short for a double play that ended the rally, ended the inning and when Fat Albert hit a two-run homer in the next frame, the game ended.

I don't care about the final score. I can only hope that after Johan ends the losing streak against the gNats on Friday, that the rest of the team can get behind him and start a roll. It's clear the bats are there, they just need to get their timing on track.

No comments: