Saturday, April 25, 2009

Game 16 - Mets 4, Nationals 3

Johan is the man, but if we can't hit there's nothing anybody can do about it.

The sad fact of the matter is that statement isn't true. They are hitting. Everyone is hitting and that's what's making everything so frustrating. I was listening to the game and actually heard them go 1-for-10 with runners in scoring position in the first five innings.

I don't count plays like a two-out double by David Wright and Sheffield not coming through with an RBI single. I mean when Jose Reyes leads off the game with a double and doesn't score. That's inexcusable.

At least they're not hurting my fantasy team.

OK, so the big thing is the NFL Draft, which is the biggest crap shoot in the world and the ultimate sign that the NFL is KING without question. Think about how much time and energy is spent worrying about who your team is gonna get when of the 8 to 10 guys picked, you'll likely remember and see two to four of them if you're lucky.

As for the Giants, I hope that Jerry Reese is just waiting in the wings and they're still gonna do a deal for Braylon Edwards. It's not that we truly need him but with the lack of major holes, the Giants can afford to get a talented 6-foot-3 wide receiver that can stretch the field. Eli tends to throw post out and corner routes high and while he might not require double teams, it would give opposing defensive coordinators something to think about.

I like Anquin Boldin but I don't know if he's worth it. Let me take that back, I would rather Edwards than Boldin, but think we need to get one or the other. Either that or make sure to get a middle linebacker to replace Antonio Pierce.

I read something on the NFC East blog on ESPN about how Pierce didn't have that bad of a year. I watched something called the NFL season last year and saw how many times against teams other than the Eagles that showed how Pierce is a good-enough run stopping MLB but can't be counted on in the nickel or dime packages to cover anyone out of the backfield and that includes quarterbacks.

I remember posting how I would love to see them utilize Kenny Phillips in a MLB/Monster role when they go to a nickel/dime package to get the best players on the field but somehow I don't see that happening. Either way, it's a long long long way away from football season and I've got my trust in Reese to do the right thing.

Let's hope Pelfrey can do the right thing this afternoon against the gNats.

No comments: