Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Game 20 - Marlins 7, Mets 4

I didn't get to witness much of this game since I was out researching a story I'm writing on a women's football team in Atlanta.

You can check out the Xplosion website here.

Either way, by the time I got back to my car the score was Mets 3, Fish 2. I heard David Wright get a two-out RBI single to give a two-run lead.

By the time I checked my computer when I got home, the Fish were up 7-4 on Jorge Cantu's second home run and I pretty much closed the book on this team. Over the past couple of years, they do a good job of closing shop and quitting on games so I knew they weren't coming back.

So I paid attention to the Celtics and Bulls. OK, we know that that Rose guy in red is fast and Ben Gordon does nothing but hit big shots. But the other thing that the world knows is Paul Pierce is gonna take the shot.

He's gonna Iso at the top of the key, dribble step to his right and shoot an 15 to 18 foot jumper. If you watched any of the 2008 playoffs, that's what he did. If you watched any of the series earlier in his career when he was the Truth facing the Answer, that's what he did. If you watched him at Kansas, then he would drive past you and yam in your face but he still had that mid-range jumper.

After he hit that shot to send the game to overtime, you would think the Bulls would draw something up to defend against that. But Vinnie of the Black didn't see things that way. He basically dared Pierce to beat him and lost that bet.

Also, if you had bet me that both NYC-Metro area hockey teams would play in overtime game 7's on the same night, I would have said there's a 50-50 chance that one of them would survive. If you then added that Martin Brouder had a 3-2 lead in the third period, I would have told you the Devils had already won the game.

This is why I didn't cover much hockey when I was at Boston University. I would have covered baseball but they cut the team the year before I got there. I would love to cover the Mets' game tomorrow afternoon but I'll just try to sneak a listen at work.

2 comments:

zman said...

You didn't cover BU hockey, and BU doesn't have a baseball or football team. What did you cover? Badminton? Maybe this is why you're the beat writer for a women's football team...

Twinkie said...

Classic.

Actually, I was the lead announcer for the women's basketball team for the student radio station.

I did as many men's games as possible, but they had a contract with a private station so we didn't follow them on the road like we could do with the women.

That got me a free two-day trip to the University of Vermont for the conference tourney. That was the highlite...