Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Off-day thoughts

Just a couple of quick thoughts to fill my time before my wife finishes dinner...

Daniel Murphy in the No. 2 hole makes the most sense for any young hitter with a decent bat. He will have Jose Reyes in front of him, possibly on base to be moved over or disrupting the pitcher. Not to mention the fact that either David Wright or Carlos Beltran will be waiting in the on-deck circle. One has to assume that any pitcher in his right mind would rather challenge the rookie with fast balls than miss with breaking balls, walk him and put runners on in front of the "heart of the lineup".

There's an ad on my XM radio for some guy on the Mad Dog radio channel or something like that. Point is, he says that Kobe, LeBron and Wade are the best trio of wing players since Robertson, West and Baylor. It's the type of quick hit in the middle of a promo that you hear and I guess makes you want to listen to the rest of the point.
In my case, I want to call up and say, Are you drunk or high?
Last time I checked, Jordan, Nique Wilkins and Bird played in the same era as Cylde Drexler. I'll throw in Bernard King cuz he's got a cool "White Men Can't Jump" reference and say that while today's trio is great, I'll take the 1980's group against the world.

Also on XM, this time the MLB channel, they did a NCAA tournament style bracket with the greatest players from the 70s, 80s, 90s and 00s. If I remember correctly, the No. 1 seeds were Pete Rose, Mike Schmidt, Barry Bonds and Albert Pujos (I think). Either way, there was one person that Rickey thinks got jobbed for a top seed and that's Rickey.
Mr. Henderson, if you're nasty, is the best overall player we'll likely see (right behind Bonds) that I'll ever see. He was a 2 seed and apparently lost to Tony Gywnn in the Elite Eight. Now when it comes to that matchup, I ask you this. If you were starting a franchise today and had a choice between the two in their prime, who would you take?
Rickey
or Tony?
Did you know that despite his .338 average, Gwynn's career on-base percentage is only .388? Did you also know that in 1987, that chubby hitting machine stole 56 bases? Now that I take a look at the stats, it's a lot closer than originally thought. Gwynn's got four Gold Gloves to Rickey's one, but Rickey also has an MVP award, something Tony doesn't...

I'll stick with Rickey and bid you all a good night.

No comments: