Saturday, May 2, 2009

Game 23 - Phillies 6, Mets 5 (10 innings)

I'm not going to talk about Oli because he needs to take an assignment down (or up) to AAA-Buffalo and work on his mechanics. His biggest problem has always been duplicating the same delivery and watching him today (thankfully the rain delay to the Braves let me watch a couple of innings on Fox), that's why he couldn't throw a strike to PITCHER JAMIE MOYER WITH THE F'IN BASES LOADED!!!

It's a crying shame I'll get back to this basic, basic, basic fundamental of the game.

They did show a touch of heart with their offense, but its clear this team is pushing too hard on the clutch instead of easing into gear. Case in point is Moyer's mastery for a few innings. Guys like Jose Reyes and David Wright are regressing into young hitters just up and not trusting their bat speed to succeed.

Yes, Beltran should have had a better at-bat in the top of the 10th with a runner on third and only one out but I'll have to see the highlight and I'm not going to fuss about one of my hottest and fastest hitters getting doubled up there. It means he had to have hit it pretty hard to go around the horn like that...

No, my anger. My absolute, puss-filled fury and rage is towards Sean Green and walking in the winning run.

Ask Kris. Ask anyone who really knows me and they know one of my darkest moments, one of my biggest pet peeves and it's really simple.

Walking a batter with the bases loaded in the bottom of the final inning on a full count is completely inexcusable. Period. That's it, end of list.

That's why, to this day, I'll always and forever hate Kenny Rogers.

October 19, 1999 - Game 6 of the National League Championship Series.
The Mets, with one of the best defensive infields of all-time (John Olerud, Edgardo Alfonzo, Rey Ordonez and Robin Ventura) lose the first three games of the series, but win game 4 with two in the eighth off Mike Remlinger. Then they take game 5 in the 15th on Ventura's "Grand Slam single".

Al Leiter starts Game 6 on short-day rest and gets rocked for five runs in the first, but under Bobby Valentine my Mets had heart and never quit. They tie the game at 7-7 with four runs off John Smoltz and take a lead that John Franco can't hold.

it would go into extras and of course when they took a lead and handed the ball to Armando Benitez in the 10th, he promptly gave it right back and the game marched into the 11th.

That's where Kenny Rogers, this supposed control pitcher, would give up a double to Gerald Williams. A sac bunt by Bret Boone put him on third and in typical fashion, Rogers was told to intentionally walk the bases loaded.

He did so and then on a 3-2 pitch, the bastard couldn't throw a strike to Andrew Jones. And this wasn't the 51 home run Andrew Jones from 2005. This was the Jones who was such a great CF that you didn't mind the .280 average and 100+ strikeouts.

He couldn't throw him a strike and I'll never forgive him for it. I could argue that lead to Todd Ziele playing 1B for me the next year instead of Steve Phillips resigning Olerud but I've already delayed this post too long.

Long story short, I just have to hope that John Maine can pitch better than Joe Blanton with both teams hoping their respective starter goes deep to help the pen.

No comments: