Monday, May 4, 2009

Game 24 - Mets 6, Braves 4

I hate games at Turner Field. It's been like our personal...

Well I can't think of a good example cuz I'm torn between tyrping this post and watching Shane O'Mac take on three wrestlers including Randy Orton, who apparently is the reigning WWE champion. Who knew?

Either way, when John Maine loaded the bases I thought we were in trouble. Then he struck out Jordan Schaffer on straight heat under his elbows. Then Javiar Vazquez hit a double play ball but it was slow.

Needless to say, Luis Castillo was taken out at second base and couldn't complete the double play. That allowed two runs to score and the Braves would tack on one more for an early 3-0 lead.

Normally a couple of different things would happen at this point. John Maine, who as a history of struggling and was en route to walking a career high six people. He would normally lose it completely.

The Mets, as a team, would pack it in and fail to realize they were facing Vazquez and it would be another loss to an inferior Braves team.

But not this time. I was able to sneak into my bedroom to watch Chic Caray and Joe Simpson, who are already homers and don't have to hide it anymore on Peachtree TV here in Atlanta, throw up a stat how the Mets haven't come back on anybody and how they've already blown four saves and then Daniel Murphy singled and then Carlos Betran lost one over the center field wall.

I didn't hear the excuse about that and I must admit they did call it correct in the first when Carlos Delgado struck out on an inside fastball that the home plate umpire didn't call for Maine in the next frame.

Either way, when David Wright lost on to left to give the Mets the lead, it was smooth sailing. And then they threw up the stat how they are 9-1 with a lead after six innings this year. And then Parnell went 1-2-3, Putz gave up a long home run to Chipper. OK, Caray called it long but it went about 10-15 feet past the fence.

And it's Chipper, so it was due.

Putz struck out the side and Frankie K improved to 6-for-6 in save opportunities and the game was over just like that.

A good win. Another good start for Maine, who only gave up three hits to go with all those walks. And Beltran continued to be the hottest hitter in the land.

On the God front, I sent a question that basically was composed of the last post with a touch of my history to Victory. When I get a reply back, I'll post it here and hope the conversation continues...

I hope this quality play continues as we end this two-game set with Livan on Tuesday. Then two against the Phillies at Citi, one of which I'll be able to watch on ESPN (something my wife will hate) before three with the Pirates and another three with the Braves. Afer that, Los Mets head west for four at Pac Bell/AT&T/Ma Bell Park in San Fran and three in LA. All without an off day.

Guess I'll be busy.

3 comments:

Yurri The Fucking Giant said...

Is it just me or is it more terrifying to think of Ollie coming out of the pen late in a game then starting one???

Twinkie said...

I think that was just an excuse...

Yurri The Fucking Giant said...

Question is if Tim Redding isn't the answer here.... do they snag Pedro?