Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Game 25 - Mets 4, Braves 3

Before the game, it was officially announced that Oli Perez will move to the bullpen, only to be used in late-game situations.

What that means to me is that Oli will be the 25th man on the roster, only to be used in late game situations if the Mets are up or down by about 200 runs. He'll stay up in the majors because to send him down further burdens the AAA pitching coach and a problem of this importance should be handled by the top guy(s).

His knee injury, something that could have been used to put him on the DL, clearly isn't enough of a problem to use that excuse to send him down ala Chein Ming-Wang (Thanks to Kris for the info).

No, Oli is the Big Boys problem and their the ones that will figure him out. I figure he clearly misses his next start, probably a second one and that should get us back from that quick West Coast swing...

Actually, it's gonna take missing about four starts to do that but that's what I see happening.

As for the game, the fact of the matter is the Braves aren't that good. When you're waiting for Garrett Anderson and his steady bat to infuse some much needed pop in your lineup, that's a problem. Mostly because he's good, but oft injured and more of an average hitter than power in my opinion.

I will say this. The Braves are young and if they let Bobby Cox groom this squad with some quality pitching, they'll challenge in a year or two. Just not this year.

Needless to say, this was the Mets in Atlanta. So even with a 2-0 lead headed into the seventh, I was kinda waiting for the other shoe to drop and when Bobby Parnell gave up a two-out single to the great Martin Prada, I was waiting for Escobar to bash a 3-run homer.

He didn't.

When Putz came on with a 2-1 lead and had to face Chipper, I was half-expecting him to launch another bomb into the night like he did yesterday. I mean, that's what he does against us...

But he didn't.

However, when they tacked on two more runs for Frankie to deal with in the ninth I knew the game was over. Even when the Braves got a couple of runners on, I really didn't panic. Mostly cuz Frankie has given me the ability to relax.

And even when Delgado dropped the third out and two runs came home to make the game close, I still wasn't worried and that was with Chipper Jones at the plate with a chance to give the Braves the win with one swing of the bat.

Not nervous at all.

And I'm certainly not nervous coming back to Citi with Johan on the mound against the formidable Chan Ho Park, although I've got to believe they won't throw him against us again.

1 comment:

Yurri The Fucking Giant said...

The Mets should insert Tatis into the lineup everytime Chan Ho take the mound.... if for nothing else but to remind Park of the ass raping he took from Tatis back in the day!