Thursday, May 7, 2009

Game 27 - Mets 7, Phillies 5

So the Mets scored four runs in the first with back to back two-run homers by the same two guys that did it a couple days ago in Atlanta.

While the Flithies might come back and win, I'll take this time to quickly run past my Manny moment.

I was walking into the partition portion/office part of the warehouse I work at and my area supervisor was saying how he was so happy that someone he doesn't like finally got caught with drugs.

He's a out-of-state Yankee fan, meaning he grew up in the Mountain time zone before they had the Rockies and picked the Yankees to root for as opposed to the Braves, Cubs or Cardinals.

Long story short, he was happy to hear that Manny was out for 50 games for steriods use. I was not. I wasn't shocked, per say but I was certainly surprised. I didn't think that the Baby Bull needed roids to get it done...

I'm a little disappointed overall, but this is the era we live in. Let's be real, when Mike Schmit admitted that if juice was around when he was playing, he would have done it. While greenies may not be as powerful as steroids, it is pretty performance enhancing since it turns a sluggish hitter into a aware active batter.

How that isn't considered performance enhancing I don't know. And if you consider that to be exactly what it is, then doesn't that mean all the hitters from baseball's "Golden Era" of the 50s through the 70s would be just as guilty?

I think the bigger thing is more to do with all the writers that didn't see this coming, that didn't care to dig deeper into what was in Mark McGwire's locker or to question why the union fought so hard to keep drug testing out.

They're the ones making the most noise and egging on those silly idiots who want to blame the commissioner. How this is Bud Selig's fault is beyond me since he never had the power or public backing to force this issue any earlier than he did.

Anyway, back to the game.

This is the second Mike Pelfrey start that I can think of that his teammates have given him a lead to work with. In return, he rewarded them with seven innings and only one walk.

Think rookie Johnie Niese can pull something similar Friday against the Pirates? Let's find out...

1 comment:

zman said...

I agree 100% with your take on Manny. Is anyone surprised these days when a guy in his late 30's continuously puts up tremendous numbers and then tests positive for performance enhancers? And is it really that big a deal?