Saturday, May 23, 2009

Game 40 - Mets 5, Red Sox 3

I'm not one for excuses, but when you're down to Ramon Martinez, a 37-year old journeyman infielder to play shortstop because your organization is fresh out of anything else worth a damn...

And he comes up with an RBI single because when you're out two of your five core players, you're gonna need a lot of singles bunched together to get it done.

Can't say much about Johan, this is what we come to expect and Parnell and K-Rod closing the door to end a four-game losing streak. By the way, that was three losses against the best team in the league in their park, where they happen to have the best home record in the league. But I don't like to make excuses.

As for my team not having a better backup SS in the minors than Martinez, I think we do but they're not major league ready. The same can't be said for 1st base with Delgado out until August. Our best backup is probably Daniel Murphy and if he can't pick it, Nick Evans is playing the position in either Buffalo or Binginton right now.

And I'll say this - If we can steal another game at Fenway and finish this road trip with a 5-5 record, it would be a great thing. It's not like we were playing Colorado, Pittsburgh and the Washington Generals, I mean Nationals.

On a lighter note, I took Friday off and took my 8-year old daughter to see Hannah Montana The Movie. It was as bad as to be expected, but as an old man leering at the screen I know a lot of guys who would be drooling over her if her name was 17-year old Jill Maine. Not me, however, cuz I've got a thing against bad teeth. Regardless how white Disney money makes them (and she pulled in 25 million last year), they're crooked enough to keep her out of my fantasies at night.

My real fantasy, sadly, is getting a chance to somehow enjoy tonight's matchup between Mike Pelfrey and Josh Beckett at 7:10 pm. Just don't see it happening, but we'll see. Fairy tales do come true, it could happen to you...

----------------
Now playing: Ken Drews and Dan Filowitz - Episode #56: The Tarence Kinsey Report
via FoxyTunes

No comments: