Saturday, May 23, 2009

Game 41 - Mets 3, Red Sox 2

I'm going to have a lasting memory of this game for months to come.

My friend Sini actually attended this game, thanks to the fact he has a share of season tickets at Fenway Park with him family. He called me beforehand to rub in the fact he would be attending, knowing that the best I would do is watch on my computer or listen on my XM.

Needless to say, I'm sure he and Rizzo (Not from the Jerky Boys, but our friend's last name) were three sheets to the wind and having a blast watching a pitcher's duel between Beckett and Pelfrey that started 2-1 after a frame and stayed that way.

I was having a tough time checking up on GameCast, watching the Mets give away scoring opportunities like a 1st and 3rd with one out and the great Ramon Martinez unable to put the bat on the ball.

The same could be said for the top of the ninth when Sheffield walks. It's the responsibility of the next batter to get that tying run up one base. Whether it's with a sac bunt or fly or whatever, that's your job.

So Wright striking out and Jemery Reed following suit had me feeling the game was in the tank. A feeling I'm sure Sini had as well. So when Omir Santos went long ball on the first pitch he saw...

Needless to say, I had asked him to take a picture for me. He did after that blast with a big thumbs down and I think you can guess that's the pic that will pop up anytime he calls so I'll have visual evidence of this come-from-behind win.

10-game road trip in 11 days. I think if you 5-5 and win two of the three series, that's a decent trip. Of course, if Redding can be lights out and we sweep on Sunday that's all the better.

No comments: