Saturday, May 30, 2009

Game 47 - Marlins 7, Mets 3

I could feel bad about this, but it was our No. 5 (Redding) vs. the biggest Fish (Johnson) and Jerry Manuel decided to give David Wright and Gary Sheffield the day off.

Needless to say, it was almost like he was giving it away before it even began. I understand, especially since you need to give guys a break, so...

So let's take joy in the fact that T.I.'s dumb ass is safely locked away in prison tonight.

Let's take joy in the fact that the NBA Finals are set and they don't include the Kobe vs. LeBron matchup that so many business execs where expecting. Anticipating. Nah, let me just say it outright - pushing all their chips to the table and going all in on.

I don't think the Magic will hold a candle, but now I can fully root for Rashard Lewis to go nuts on Lamar Odom, seeing how both players are carbon copies of the other. Except for the fact that Lewis isn't as good as Odom could have been.

Let's take joy in the fact that both New York teams are in first place heading into June. That in a couple of weeks, they'll meet at the Bronx Launch Pad...

And speaking of which, I read an article by Bob Klapish of the Record that truly upset me. Basically, he was saying how the Mets regret making their field a pitcher's park and how their lack of home run numbers could prove fatal. To which I say, shut the hell up.

There was a time when teams put together strings of hits and scored runs. Back then, it would just be another big inning but to do that today would push a pitcher's pitch count up. It would lead to a manager turning to his bullpen early and since the Mets have the best bullpen ERA, that can only be a good thing.

I've always said that I'd prefer back-to-back doubles an a home run anyday. In Citi, if one of those doubles heads to the gap, it's a three-bagger. I hope they don't do a thing, but if enough columnists complain and convince enough rubes without their own minds to complain on WFAN and ESPN New York and any other outlet that would influence the public relations department in Flushing...

I just hope they don't listen. I like the large Citi just the way it is. It will help fly-ball pitchers like John Maine, who can make it a 5-out-of-6 homestand with a quality start today.

1 comment:

Dan Filowitz said...

A couple of things, Marty:

1- The Magic don't play a ton of pick and roll. They do more drive-and-kick. The Lakers play the triangle, which isn't pick and roll really either. Not that both teams don't occasionally run it, but it's not the primary play as it is more often for Cleveland, say.

2- You want new hip-hop that doesn't just sound nostalgic for early 90s NYC? Try some Detroit stuff. Look up Black Milk. You'll probably dig that. I know I do.

3- Lamar Odom at least has a chance to guard Rashard Lewis. No one on Cleveland could.