Friday, June 12, 2009

Game 58 - Yankees 9, Mets 7

I thought I was bad after yesterday's loss. Now I'm just sick to my stomach.

I sent out a text moments after watching the high (or low) lights on ESPN, the same one I'll see replayed over and over on Fox for Saturday's game and on TBS for Sunday's game and mentioned in every columnists article in tomorrow's papers across the Tri-State area and probably brought back up in a couple of weeks when they're either close to the Phillies after this long stretch of tough games or when they're 12 back after facing this gauntlet of a schedule...

It's losses like this that make me want to forget about the baseball season entirely and just wait for NFL training camps to open up. That make me look forward to serving as a freelancer covering high school football games and tossing my Friday nights out the window for $75 a shot.

It's pathetic and there's very little that can be said. Frankie did his job, the team did their job and David Wright, who's batting over .360 right now by the way, came through in a clutch situation against one of the best closers in the game, in a tight spot like the same one Met fans like myself have been critiquing him about for the past two seasons...

Note: Mo Riveria is the greatest closer of all time, but right now in 2009 he's just one of the best. No longer the hands down best and there's really no argument about this.

As for the ninth, you had to know that Derek Jeter would get a hit. That was without question cuz that's what he does against us. But the intentional walk to Tex was surprising. Then again, all the hate all you Yankee fans have for A-Rod only helped any Met fans resolve about the final outcome.

See, if Castillo catches the ball, the columns would remind the reader how much of a choke A-Rod is in big games and how the Yankees are slipping right now. They might have even remembered that Joba didn't make it to the fifth inning on a night when the bullpen really needed a rest.

Instead, they'll all write about how the Mets are finding new ways to lose and with Fernando Nieve on the mound, on national television no less, how Omar needs to go and find a new starter. How this team was horribly made up and what is this guy doing on the mound in such a pressure situation.

I'm sure someone will mention how they needed rookies like Johnathon Niese and Brandon Knight down the stretch last year and what's the problem with the team's minor leagues that the best they could come up with is a former relief pitcher they picked up for nothing after the Astros decided they didn't need him to help them be four games under .500...

I don't even know if I'll try to make the time to watch tomorrow's game after this. And even as I type this, I know I'll be looking for an empty TV set around 4 p.m. because I love the pain.

Maybe my wife should find a paddle and one of those straps with the ball for my mouth.

No comments: