Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Here Come The Warm Jets: Week 9 2008

Winning in Buffalo is huge. The Jets needed a win on the road against a good team, especially in the division.

I gotta say, though, while it was happening, this was not a confidence inspiring win.

The offense struggled in the red zone, settling for short field goals instead of touchdowns.

The defense, in the first quarter, looked completely out of sorts, and seemingly unable to cover anyone who ran on a pass pattern.

There was a stretch in the first half where the Bills had the ball for something like 30 consecutive plays, a result of them driving deep and then the Elam interception return for a touchdown. That just seemed wrong.

Then, of course, Favre threw another horrible interception returned for a touchdown.

And yet, there were many positives. Especially as I thought about it after the game was over.

The run defense was again spectacular. Kris Jenkins has been an unblockable monster, and was particularly so against the Bills.

The offense came up with two huge, clock-eating drives when they needed it most.

The first came after that strange sequence where the Bills had the ball for 30 straight plays. First, the defense had run back the touchdown. Then, the Bills drove deep again, and the Jets stuffed them on fourth down. If the offense had gone three-and-out there, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the Bills would have scored. The defense would have been exhausted, and the Bills wouldn't screw up a third time. Instead, though, the Jets put together a long drive that just about killed the rest of the half. Yes, Feely missed a short field goal, but the offense had to stay on the field at that point in the game, and they did.

The second came after Favre's interception. The momentum at that point was all in Buffalo's favor, the crowd screaming, the score close. If they go three-and-out there, or give the Bills the ball back with too much time, there's no way the Jets hold on. Instead, they put together an 8 minute plus drive, that ends in a field goal that put the game out of reach. That drive was all about the running game, the offensive line never looking better. And, yes, Favre made some key third down throws, that a confident veteran has to make.

It is heartening, after the first half of the schedule is done, that this team can go on the road, stop the run, run the ball in crunch time, and recover from a bad mistake to win a key game.

5-3, tied for first in the division, is not bad.

Now, if this is truly a different Jets team, they'll build on this win and take care of business at home against St. Louis next week.

And, hey, on this day, if ever, I can believe in change.

Go vote!

6 comments:

THE INNOVATOR said...

I hate you!!! I loved all of what you wrote about your beloved Jetropolitans and then you threw out that fucking cheese ball "I can believe in change" playing off that terrible Obama slogan Change we can Believe in. The slogan should be: Change we have convinced you you can believe in!!

As for voting, I encourage people not to vote. Last thing we need is lots of dumb people voting, that is how we got the second term of GWB. I advocate people to vote only if I know they are smart, dumb people I tell to go to the movies.

zman said...

Eff the Jets. Eff the Bills too. They again look like the Bills of the past 8 years.

I thought you voted for GWB twice Kris?

Anonymous said...

I wrote in Leon Washington for president...He proved to know more than me on Sunday, if that play doesn't put him over the top for the prowl bowl this year I don't know what will. I hope Mangini gives Elam a bonus or something. If he doesn't pick that ball off Mangini's job would've been in serious jeopardy.

zman said...

I wrote in Big Ron for President, as I have every year since 1996.

THE INNOVATOR said...

Once, Andrew. And my other real choice was Al Gore, so really, can you blame me?

Dan Filowitz said...

Like I do every election, I voted for myself.

I think I might win this year.