Saturday, May 9, 2009

Game 29 - Mets 10, Pirates 1

Let me start with this word of advice. No matter what anyone tells you, don't get married.

I'll paraphrase one of my favorite jokes from Louis C.K.

Now we have a kid and I realize that I could have left whenever I wanted. I could have just packed my bags and walked out before the kid.

I'm in that same boat and it's like the Perfect Storm every 28 days.

OK, back to baseball.

I guess there's not much to say. What's that? I could talk about the fact that John Maine has allowed just seven hits in his last three starts. Those were against Florida, Atlanta and Pittsburgh, but lets not forget that two of those three opponents are in division games.

This will always marvel me because he's really only got two pitches and they're both the same thing - fastball. I haven't talked with him, but he throws a two seam that tops out at 94-95 MPH and a four-seam that rises at about the same speed.

It's not like he's got great control with either pitch. I mean, he's much better than Oli Perez, but he did just walk six men and he's always seemed to struggle at times with his location.

Lately, like in the last 365 days, he's tried to add a changeup (thanks, Johan) and a slider but neither pitch is anything to write home about. I've said this before, but if it was a video game his two fast balls would be B-B+ pitches and his offspeed stuff would be closer to a D...

And that's being really kind with the D.

As for the offense, they pounded out 17 hits which would fill me with pride if we hadn't led the league in batting average since the season began. I guess I should be pleased with David Wright and Jose Reyes each having two-out RBIs, but I saved the best for last...

With the Braves' win this afternoon, I'm now writing about the first place New York Mets. Let's hope that Livan Hernandez can pitch with that knowledge Sunday afternoon.

2 comments:

Dan Filowitz said...

You better wish your wife a happy mother's day after this!

And, keep up the every game Mets blogging. More of us are reading than you think.

Dan Filowitz said...

Oh, that comment was me, by the way.