Saturday, May 16, 2009

Game 36 - Mets 9, Giants 6

This is why they don't give Santana any support. You score three for him in the first and he gives it right back. Then you give him three more and he hands that right over as well...

You have to keep primadonna pricey pitchers like that guy under your thumb, make him always think he's pitching for his job otherwise he'll take it for granted and blow your whole season...

OK all jokes aside, it's a good thing they decided to score when the best pitcher in the league decided to have an off-day. He allowed four earned runs in seven innings, upping his ERA to a completely unworthy 1.36. That just won't do...

On a different note, I saw the Wolverine picture tonight. Actually the theatre started to play Hannah Montana and we got a free pass, so I was gonna be OK with the movie regardless since I already used a coupon to knock down that $10 ticket.

I'm not gonna spoil it, but it was closer to X3 than X1 or X2 which is slightly disappointing. But overall I enjoyed the time away from the children.

As for the plot, and I'll try not to give anything away, I must begin with this disclaimer. All the X-Men knowledge I possess is based on the Marvel cartoons taken straight from the comics that were broadcast in the late 80s/early 90s. I watched most to all the reincarations that have come on the airwaves since and will waste a moment or two on Wikapedia to research a fact or two.

I must also give credit to The Boy, who sent me a digital copy of a Wolverine Origins comic years ago and the first five minutes of the film were likely taken from that text. After that...

OK, I can understand one critique I've heard, that there are too many characters and they're not really fleshed out enough for you to get to know them. To Marvel's credit, they don't seem to care. The movie is called Wolverine and that's all you need to know or care about.

The one thing that got to me, however, was the same feeling I had in Spiderman 3. It seemed like they planned that film with the final battle scene in mind. They wanted Spidey and Hobgoblin (or Harry Osborne played by James Franco) to face The Sandman and Venom. Then they worked their way back to get to that scene.

In Wolverine, they seemingly knew they wanted a lot of fight scenes, they knew how they had to make the movie end otherwise the first X-Men movie makes no sense and after that...

I don't really know if there was much thought after that. Let me finish with this. You will be entertained and my best comparison is to Indiana Jones last summer. It was a must-see movie for any Indy fan, but afterwards you were kind of sad. This is the same, but at least you leave with a slightly better feeling.

Hopefully Mike Pelfrey continues to give Mets fans a slightly better feeling with a quality start on National Television tonight against Matt Cain.

No comments: