Monday, June 1, 2009

Game 49 - Pirates 8, Mets 5

So I'm gonna blame this loss on J.J. Putz and my wife.

Putz will take the brunt of it since he seems to lack the motivation to perform at top quality as an 8th inning man. It means that Omar is gonna have to act fact, ship him somewhere as a closer and promote Bobby Parnell into the 8th inning role.

Simple solution to a possible problem down the line. And you might as well make the move now, although it will be hard to determine exactly what the team needs. One could argue that they need a 1st baseman but we should give Murphy a chance there to see what we'll need in the offseason. I mean, I think Murph is the answer and we should be good with him and Tatis over there for the season but...

I guess then you could say we need a corner outfielder, but when everyone gets healthy we would have too many with Beltran, Sheffield (who's earn a place to at least platoon with his carrying of the team lately) and Church.

Which leaves me with the need for a starter and the best one out there than might be available would be...

(Drum roll please)

Brandon Webb of the Arizona Diamondbacks.

Yes, he's on the DL now but I'll take a Brandon Webb down the stretch to pair with Santana and the first chance to sign him long term for Putz and whatever else.

My wife takes the blame cuz I was listening to the game (and watching on Gamecast) and she decided she wanted to take a bath but was waiting for the game to end. I turned off the game and just like that, the piRats score five in the eighth to take the lead.

That's OK. With the stomach bug going around the clubhouse, it's good to know that losing streak killer Santana goes tonight.

1 comment:

zman said...

Whenever I hear that a baseball player "is on the DL" I laugh to myself, just a little bit.