Friday, March 21, 2008

Filowitz's Friday Five

1) Call Kris out and look at all the posts he did this week. You should read them all, if you haven't already. What have we learned from all this? Kris does know his college ball, and he does respond to taunts.

2) If you didn't get a chance to see Black Magic on ESPN this past Sunday and Monday, you should definitely find a way to do so. Extremely well done documentary on basketball players and coaches that came through historically black colleges, starting from around the 1940s. I am not too proud to admit that I had not heard of many of the people featured, like John McLendon, Earl Lloyd, and Ben Jobe. This is enriching, as a good documentary should be. Great stories that needed to be told, especially in light of all the racial issues brought up during this election season (I hope you all saw or read Obama's speech from Tuesday.) Black Magic is worth it just for the great old footage alone, including video of Earl Monroe, who was called "Black Jesus" for a reason. There are some clips HERE, so check those out.

3) I assume we all were disappointed that Belmont couldn't pull off their upset of Duke. And that was about the only particularly good thing I saw on day one of the tourney. The rest of the games could barely hold my interest. San Antonio-Boston and Utah-Lakers were far more entertaining.

4) Speaking of the NCAA, I've mentioned that I haven't watched much college ball this year. One thing I noticed is that the college game is much, much slower. The longer shot clock makes possessions seem to take forever. And in the close games, coaches seem to take way more timeouts than they do in the pros. Maybe I was watching the wrong teams this time or something, but this is what struck me the most today.

5) So it's supposed to snow in Chicago. This late in March. 5 to 8 inches I hear. This proves once and for all that Jesus does not want the people of this city to be happy. Happy Easter!

No comments: